1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unii/Ultra mount conversions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jrr102486, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

I have een thinking of changing my current Unimount truck side to an Ultramount mount.

Has anyone used the Uni to Ultra adapter on the Unimount plow? Is it worth the time to do so? Looking for something a bit faster to hook up and ease of driving into it to line up truck and plow, but does this adapter stay on the plow or on the truck?

Cant seem to find any good information on this if its worth it or not. I have been looking at a newer plow but not sure if I want to spend the money just yet, but do have a bit extra to spend this way if it is a decent deal .

If I get a new plow, my current Unimount would be stored at my parents house and then keep mine with me at my house in which if it snows there (Im there about every other week for work in the shop until I can get my own) I will have to plow their driveway for them, so thus in turn the other reason I am looking this way.

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I had one on my 04 f250 it worked out for me cause my friend had a ultra and if I needed to borrow his I could but yes I think its worth it and you can take it off or leave it on doesn't not matter only thing if you need an ultra you would have to borrow or buy the skis that the ultra slide into.

3. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

They work, but the only problem is they make the plow hang so far off of the truck. I had one on a 99 Dodge Ram and it destroyed the front pulling the frame and bumper down about an inch over time. I always worried about one big pothole making the plow bounce and that ending it for the frame. Personally, I would upgrade to the Ultra-mount now or just wait if you are planning on keeping the truck for a while.

4. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

Thanks! I didnt realize that it made the plow hang that much further off the truck. How much further out?

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

no, if you already have a unimount mount on your truck, it's not worth taking it off to put on an ultramount mount and adapter. the adapter doesn't convert the unimount plow into an ultramount plow. It wouldn't hook up any different than it does now.

The adapter stays on the truck mount and you pull up to the plow and hook it up like any other unimount plow. Then you can take it off in the summer or whatever, and get that weight off the front of your truck.

If you didn't have a mount for your truck and had to buy a new mount, you would get an ultramount mount and adapter because Western doesn't make the unimount mounts anymore.

6. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

got it! so really its not worth the hassle to convert it. i thought that it would hook up like the ultra then as well but i couldnt find any information on it about that, so thats what i needed to know!

Josh