1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni straight won't always go down

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chachi1984, Jan 8, 2014.

1. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

hey
    after plowing for some reason my plow doesn't want to go down.
    the plow goes up,right ,left all the time but not down. sometimes when I play around with controler it will finally drop. there also was a lot of water then we had a flash freeze, could water have went down that shaft and froze something up

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it works when you wiggle the controller,,,I'd start there. Might just be the connector at the controller

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There is only one valve involved in raising and dropping the plow and that is the closest one to the front of the plow. This is the S1 valve part #49337-K. Probably from what you describe it is the controller failing to send a signal to the valve to open but may be that your valve is sticking our you have a bad connection on the wire that activates this coil. You could take the valve cover off and jump the coil to see if it works reliably or not. This system has a common ground on the valve coils so just take a jumper wire from the battery + and touch the pin on the S1 coil that normally has the white wire with a yellow tracer. Take that wire off first though. Leave the black / orange wire on as this is the common ground. You should hear a distinct click and the blade should drop... watch your toes while you are standing there. If it works fine there with the jumper go back to your controller and check your grill plug. I would try a new controller first as this is the most likely cause.
    As far as water getting in goes, if water is getting in then normally fluid would be leaking out under pressure too.

4. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

ok ,
    If the s1 valve runs both up and down, would that valve only stick in the down position not both?? it has no problem going up.
    the red light stays on all the time, just have to keep pressing down a bunch of times then it finally drops

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I am wondering if the contact in the box is off a little or maybe dirty?

6. CleanCutL&S

CleanCutL&S Senior Member

I have gone through a few handheld controllers. Will start with one function then spread to them all.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No, S1 lowers. S3 raises. S2 goes right. S2 and S3 goes left.

8. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I would start in this order:

controller>S1>contamination in the system.

The first two only take minutes to verify.

9. mishnick

The S1 Valve has two sections. The first is a check ball valve that is put in the fluid's path to hold the ram up. This valve opens when you lift the blade and closes when your release the button. When you lift the S1 doesn't actually move / shuttle the little ball just lifts off the seat of the valve. The second stage of the S1 is a straight through path that allows the fluid out so the ram goes down.
    When you hit up the S3 does move but since the blade goes up fine the S3 is obviously working and therefore has nothing to do with our issue. The fact that the ram blade goes down at all proves that the S3 is releasing so again the S3 has nothing to do with this issue. As I said before this problem involves only the S1, if it is a valve issue at all. Clearly the S1 is the device that is failing to open but that doesn't mean the S1 is the problem. The controller must send the command to S1 to open and that command signal must actually get through the wires and grill plug to get to the S1 coil. The coil must also be in good shape and must be effectively grounded.
    Still, the first thing to do is switch out the controller as this is the most common problem. Then look down the line for the other items involved.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

ok thanks ill start with that. if the valve is sticking is some I can do to free it up or do I just replace the valve

11. mishnick

I have occasionally been successful blowing valves out with compressed air but that usually helps when the blade won't stay up because debris has become caught in the valve. I don't think your valve is at fault but if you verify the wiring and coil are all good then I would change the valve. It's just so much money $80 or more. Eliminate the inexpensive parts first.

12. Hotfeet

Hotfeet Member

Clean all prongs/connections on the plug ins. If you have a little corrosion or a slightly poor connection the plow will work sometimes but not all the time. After cleaning make sure to use dielectric grease. Just my experience most often it is something simple.