1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni mount works sometimes

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Moparsbytim, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Moparsbytim

Moparsbytim Junior Member

I have a unimount plow and most mornings it will not funtion at all it has power to the motor but the motor does not run. If I run the vehicle for awhile, it will suddenly start working and then will work great. If I stop plowing and let it sit for an hour or so I have the same Problem. I have taken the motor off and the pump is free even when it will not run. Do I need a new motor?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You might need a solenoid.

Do the following first;

First, check the connector plug (in front of the grill), pull it apart and clean it out with terminal cleaner.. Let it soak for a minute, and blow it out with and air gun(if you have one). Then check the tips to see if any are bent or broken..Put some electrical grease, and put them back together. Also do that to the power cable. Check all the grounds.

At the solenoid, clean the two battery and small lead wires..Clean them and re-install them back onto the solenoid.. do the same to the battery leads at the pump motor.

See if the plow works and how it is functionally ..

Let us know how you made out..
  3. Moparsbytim

I have tried all of those things but still the same problem I seem to have voltage to the motor when I try to move it but it does not run. Is there a way to check and make sure I have enough Amperage? I have also tried jumping straight to the motor It sparks like its drawing but never takes off. Thanks for your help.
  4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if you jump power right to the motor and it doesn't run the motor is bad.
  5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

also jump grounds...........

On edit: If it is sparking when you apply main + then it is very unlikely that your ground is bad. But just in case, jump grounds directly to a clean spot on the motor housing. The old pumps grounded to the valve body-the new ones ground direct to the motor because of corrosion causing a faulty connection. So double check your grounds (just use jumper cables for both main + and main -). If the motor still doesn't spin, replace it.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  6. Moparsbytim

Are the motors you can get on ebay any good? I just bought this one two years ago from western and if I remember right it was almost $200.
  7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a Napa out where you live, try there.If not find a plow store....they run about that much....Or bring to a place were they rebuild motors. Also check the pump while you have the motor off see if it spins freely..

When you use jumper cables and you jump the motor from the battery and the motor and you say it "sparking", the motor might be binding..
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010