1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni mount with weak lift

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by locojoe, Dec 4, 2013.

1. locojoe

locojoe Junior Member

Just installed a unimout wilth no iso module or controlls ... SO I used 2 6pole switches 150amp solonoid 4 gauge welding wire and 2 diodes...All functions work well but lift only lifts a few inches if I help it lift with a big bar it lifts plenty high.
    ..Changed fluid in it several time...Angle left and right has loads of power...Just weak on lift...I loosend off the packing nut and lubeed the packing..this helped somewhat...I shimmed the releif valves just to find out they are actually for transfering left or right cylinders when hitting something( better back them off and or remove the shimms) Im wondering could there be air in the main cylinder....or is the 150 amp solonoid not enough? Research tells me the motor draws upto 210 amps max...I cleanded up the spool valves and inspected them...still not much improvement...Any help would be great...also does any1 know to accomlish float does the down solonoid have to be constantaly on to allow float?
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Can you test the pressure? Did you try loosing the quill? Believe the isarmatic pumps has to push fluid thru the quill to raise. The pump relief valve is mounted directly on the pump, took me a while to figure this out years ago, but I don't recommend adjusting with out knowing what pressure you are running. If none of this works it may be time to replace pump.
  3. locojoe

locojoe Junior Member

Yes i really wanted to pull the pump and see if there was a releif valve there but I spent way too long wireing it up from scratch that I hadda move on to other work....when i get caught up again ill see if I can borrow a high pressure gauge to test it too...Also any special way to bleed the system or should regular use work any air out of it? I guess opening the fill or venting it could help to let the air our of the non vented reservior... I backed the quill out as much as possible without it leaking and this accomplished very little.
  4. kimber750

Try to keep the blade low when angling the plow to bleed. Leave fill plug in. But you do need to keep checking the fluid level so watch out for any pressure that may build up.

To answer your early question, yes the S1 needs to be energized to float.

Gotta be pump or relief valve. How does the motor sound when raising?
  5. locojoe

locojoe Junior Member

Motor sounds good and lotsa jam in angle mode....of course I better back of the relief settings for crossway relief valve and remove my shims from the springs...Thanks for the float info too ill have to add an iluminated toggle for float or something.
  6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'd say either pump or something is up with the motor.
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you try loosing the quill? Believe the isarmatic pumps has to push fluid thru the quill to raise.
    bad grasshopper, the quill is only for lowering, nothing to do with raising
    leave the relief valves alone. they are for angling.
    you need to put a gauge on it, or adjust the pump output. gauge needs tobe at least 2000psi.
    remove the 1/4 allen on the lift ram housing, insert gauge and try and lift the plow and record what the psi is under 1500 and it could be adjusted to meet specs. imo anything lower then 1000 and you should get a new pump.
    blead. fill, install fill and ck plugs. operatre plow l,r,lrlrlrlrl down, PUSH RAM ALL THE DOWN remove fill and ck plugs, and fliud till its coming out the ck plug. then repeat. do this till theres no bubbles coming out
  8. kimber750

Page 37.

Snowplow raises slowly or partially – motor runs. Lift cylind
    er packing nut too tight. Adjust lift cylinder packing nut.
    Clogged pump filter (all functions are affect
    ed). Clean or replace filter, flush reservoir.
    Worn or damaged pump. Go to Pump Pressure Test.
    Poor connections on battery cables. Inspect battery cables, clean and re-attach all
    Quill adjusted in too far. Adjust quill out.
    Malfunctioning controller. Go to Control Test

Maybe you should double check your information before you try to be a smartass. Thumbs Up
  9. dieselss

Your right. As far as diag goes this would be the last place I would look. If the plow lowered ok, I wouldn't even think about the quill. Side note tho, I know all OUR plows so I wouldn't think that a quill would be the issue.
    I see you can't take a joke

10. kimber750

I have been pushing snow and repairing all types of plows for almost 30 years. If you read the OP's original post he was adjusting all kinds of things on the pump. This is the reason I suggested checking the quill. I will never claim to know everything but I do know quite a bit. So no, I don't appreciate the constant jabs at my knowledge of plows.
  11. dieselss

Pm kimber.........
  12. locojoe

locojoe Junior Member

OK well thanks fer all the input guys...Im gonna try some thurough bleedling as I have tried everything else besides a gauge on the ram whick i dont have right now....I will tighten the quill and return the angle relief vavles to normal...as it stands rite now the plow drops like a stone so stand well back..ill see how the quill helps that out tho...

Now if I can keep sandpile from freezing thered be one less pain in the ass and id have some time for the plow!
  13. locojoe

locojoe Junior Member

Lift off!!!!

Saaaaweeeet!!!! Took the pump out cleaned er up cut of the head of a screw shimmed the relief valve with it....cranked er in ..then backed er off 1 turn and shes lifting like a champ now!!!!!

Thanks fer all your posts and help!!