1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni mount vs ultra mount?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by m.$terner, Sep 28, 2010.

1. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

whats the difference in these two? i know uli mount is older and ultra mount is more current (if they even still use it idk). im looking at a western unimount but got no way to test it. my fiend has a 8 foot ultra mount on his truck and i was wondering if the wiring is the same so i can use his truck to test the pump and angle cylinders. also if i decide to buy it, it would be much easier to mount on his truck and take to my shop rather than putting it in the back of my truck and using the forklift to unload it later.anyone who is familar with western please chime in.Thanks

2. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I am sure they are different, the unimount is a 2 plug setup where the ultra uses a 3 plug setup.

3. matzke3

matzke3 Member

The older ultamounts (like mine) do not have the headlight logic box and are still the 2 plug setup. The big difference is in the mounts.

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If you do buy it it will not hook up to his truck unless you buy an adpater. Western sells an adapter to go into the ultramount enabling you to hook up to a unimount plow they aren't real cheap. So I think the back of the bed is a better choice. Also the unimount is only a 2 plug power/lights plowcontols. The newer ulramounts I believe around 05 and newer ultramounts are 3 plugs power/lights/plow contols.

Just a thought maybe you could put up a post for a few bucks plus gas for someone with a unimout hookup to go look at the plow and bring ti home for you. Hope it helps.

5. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

I just bought a uni and insted of buying the adapter for mu ultra mount on my truck, I made one for less then $100.00 works great . I will post a pic of it tomorrow

6. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

hey guys, sorry i havent been on in a while. i couldnt get it to lift so i gave up on it and went home and got the wiring diagram off of westerns website. checked it out a re-wired it and tested it right there no problem. put it on a car trailer and brought it home. so everything worked out pretty good. the mount for a 88-2000 chevrolet classic mount was included too but no bolts. anyone know where i can buy all the bolts for this at? i have one book but it sells everything seperately, rather just buy it as a whole kit.

7. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Buy some grade 8 bolts at the local hardware store. They will work great.