1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni-Mount Valve body

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by FxsX24, Dec 24, 2011.

1. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

i am working on a Uni-mount plow. i had to install it on a truck after it was cut out of another truck. i had to install new 9-pin ends on both side.

anyways. i got the lights to work as they should. we got the plow to turn to the right. it now wont move any direction.

i was wondering what the valve body configuration is (what each one does) so i can figure out how to fix it.

one coil seems to get power when i go left or right. which makes no sence to me at all. but then again i dont know how the valve system works to begin with.

any help would be greatly appreciated

the plow does jerk left or right a littlre, just no full motion.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

did you check westerns website for the wiring diags??

3. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

i tried to follow them thru from the controller, to the valve body. but it gets confusing.

i just need to know what each valve controls so i can trouble shoot

4. dieselss

5. dieselss

did you change the connector from a 12 pin???
    if not then it should just connector right back up per the color codes on the repair harnesses

6. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

The plow had a 6 pin plug and three wires tied together, it was a total cluster when i got it. i used the 9 pin since it has 9 wires on it.

7. dieselss

ok,,,did you look at the schematic?

8. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

yea. im gonna pull the valves out and take a look at them. the hard part is that the truck is 10 miles away from the plow. so testing operation is a PITA. i have a new coil also so i might try that too.

the last guy to work on the plow could have caused a coil burn up, i dont think he had a clue what he was doing, i have a new coil, ill do the reistance check for the coils and make sure that is not the issue also.

9. dieselss

why are you going to pull the valves??? make sure you have pwr and gnd first. the bk/og is gnd throughtout the system. start with the wiring and go from there. might be all it is.

10. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

i checked for power and i have power to all 3 coils

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

so what do you need to know?

What color wire goes to what on the plow side?

Brown - Parking Lamps
    Grey - Left Turn
    Purple- Right Turn
    Black - Ground
    White - High Beams
    Black - Low Beams
    White w/ yellow trace - S1 Valve
    Green - S2 Valve
    Blue - S3 Valve
    Black w/ Orange trace - Gound

Coil activation?

S1- On when you lower the plow
    S2- On when you angle left or right
    S3- On when you raise or angle left

12. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

i am going to test to make sure the correct coils are acticating when the controller is activated,

i did notice that the white/yellow wire has power when the controller is in the middle. if i unplug the coil wire when the plow is in the air and plug it back in, the plow will drop.

this appears normal according to the flow charts.

the plow will not angle left or right.

i pulled all three cartridges and they all push in with a pick as the manual says, i swapped coils around with a new one to make sure it is not a bad coil, plus they all pass the resistance test.

poppet inspection might be next. im a bit confused about the boss plug removal, it says to hit them to remove them,but to tighten them to a certain spec? it the hammer strike just to break any oxidation?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  13. dieselss

the white/yellow is for drop. unless you "lowered" the controller. this wire should not have pwr at all.
    if you turn off then back on the controller is the wht/ylw still hot??

14. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

i am about 90% sure the controller was in the center. but i was setting a hammer on the controller to get the life height setup also. so it could have been during that time but im pretty sure it was in the center.

once i have a second person abound i can use a test light to see if the coils are doing there thing

15. dieselss

you can just unplug the pos. to the plow motor, and use a rubber band to ck the wires.

16. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

wish i thought about that the other night.

can you tell me about the poppet check?

17. dieselss

what do you want to know??

18. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

poppet inspection might be next. im a bit confused about the boss plug removal, it says to hit them to remove them,but to tighten them to a certain spec? it the hammer strike just to break any oxidation?

19. dieselss

20. FxsX24

FxsX24 Junior Member

raise and lower work. angle does not. plow WILL stay up in the air. unless i unplug wh/yw and reconnect it, then it will drop.