1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni-mount truckside inquery

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TTBoy77, Nov 1, 2008.

1. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I got my truckside mount (finally) and wanted to put it on today. That's where the problems began. First, I found out I have what can only be described as a power steering cooler. Not a traditional fin style, but a steel line inside the frame. The truck is a 98 k2500 with a 454(7.4L), hydro-boost, and a boatload of other stuff. Back to that line. It goes from the back of the pwr. steering pump, over the top of the gear, inside the frame horn where it make 2 loops, and back to the gear. That line started leaking and has to be replaced which I can only find at the dealer.:mad:

My second problem is with the mount I got. After printing off the install instructions from Western's website, I think I have a problem. The mount looks the same as the pics. from the website with one difference. My "double plate" seems to be different than any listed in the parts diagram. The ones I got have the four holes on the bottom and three on the side (it is an L shaped bracket). According to the instructions, these "double plates" are supposed to go INSIDE the frame and against the inner wall of the frame. The "double plates" I have don't seem to work if I do it that way. The ones I have seem to align perfectly with the three holes from the bumper bolts. How do I mount my frame? Do I use these plates or try to find different ones? I think using these will work, I just don't know how to make it happen. I need help:bluebounc Thanks guys.

I would love to post pics. but I cannot as my camera software is all messed up on my comp.:(

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The PS cooler line can be bent up and duplicated with a piece of standard issue universal brake tubing since its in the return side of the pressure system (low side) Bend up a new line and a few hose clamps and your good to go there. You could also mount a tube and fin style PS cooler behind the grill for better cooling and route the hoses there instead.

What is the the part # for the mount on the box? 61440 or 62330?

3. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I got the mount used so I do not know the part number. :confused:

As for the PS line, I will do that. Do I have to get a flaring tool and flare one end so I can re-use the fitting that goes into the steering gear?

4. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

After digging around on Western's web-site, I believe I have the mount #61440. It says I should have the #62330. Can I use #61440? I don't see why not. It appears to bolt right up, just not like the #62330. What would happen if I use the "wrong one"??

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A slight flare on the end of the tubing is a wise idea. Doesn't need much to do the job since it's a low pressure connection. A Phillips screwdriver worked (wobbled) into the end of the tube will put enough of a flare on it to secure the hose if you don't have a flare tool. You can also thread an inverted flare to hose barb fitting onto each end of the replacement line and then slip your hose and clamps on if you want to go that route.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I agree and thats why I asked, I also suspected that you have the 61440 mount. You can use it...it just won't be a bolt on out of the box as you've already discovered with the plates.

7. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

I think I'll just mount it like the instructions for the 61440 say. I still think the strength is there...isn't it?

8. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

Or should I try to find the correct plates? The mount, spreader bar, and thrust arms all seem the same. Anyone know part numbers? My dealer likes it when I can give them OE part numbers as it helps eliminate getting wrong parts.:dizzy:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Modify the plates you have, or make new ones from scratch.