1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni-mount suddenly stops (controller?)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by grizbait, Jan 6, 2010.

1. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

Western Uni-mount pro plow was working just fine while I was plowing this morning. Seemed a little week - but the rig has been sitting a while and I think my battery is getting weak. At any rate, when I started all functions were normal.

Then, after dropping the plow - nothing. Won't raise or angle.

So my guess is electrical. I can hear the solenoid click when I use the controller functions, but no movement. The power light on the controller is on, but I understand the boards in these controllers can fail. (and the plow lights seem to function fine)

This happened once before, then things started working fine again. I cleaned the connector at the grill - though I will double-check that again and make sure it is thoroughly cleaned up.

Is a sudden failure like this typically either the connections or the controller? Solenoid possible? (even though I hear it clicking from the controller?)

Is there some other possibility that I should test also?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a start to check things out..

There is a black/orange wire that connect to the small terminal on the solenoid. Did you check that wire? Check to see if it making good contact on the solenoid and the neg side on the battery. Also check the brown/red (on the other small terminal) wire to also make sure it has a good connection.

Have you swap controller to see if your controller is acting up?

You can test the controller to see if it is bad

cABCtest.jpg

I know you made a statement about checking the grill connector, check it again..Have someone work the controller while you wiggle the connector(truck and plow) and see if the plow start to work. Also you might want to check the pins to make sure they are clean. If not, use battery cleaner, then use a air gun to blow them out. Use a pair of pliers and squeeze lightly on the female end, to give a snug when re connecting the plugs together. Don't forget to put some dielectric grease on the male and female connectors before joining together again. You might also want to clean the power cable as well.

Check all grounds to make sure they are also making good contact.

cABCtest.jpg

3. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

will do - thanks.

Going to the auto store to get some good electrical connection cleaner and will use some compressed air.

4. Racer593

Racer593 Member

Check ALL of your grounds for your plow system. Mine did this last year after a new motor, new battery we changed the ground cable for the plow battery ind it started working instantly. hope it helps.

Chris

5. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

Well - I performed the test on the joystick control and it checked out fine.

Also used electrical contact cleaner on all the contacts and re-attached the connections.

The motor does not start when the controller functions are used.

I do suspect some sort of ground issue as was suggested, or possibly the motor relay? There is a 'motor relay test' in the manual. One possible out come is to replace the cable as racer suggests.

I cleaned the contacts and I don't see other evidence of failure. Is it possible that the cable itself is bad?

6. grizbait

grizbait Junior Member

was a bad cable

After cleaning all the terminals/connections - it turns out it was in fact a wire. The hot wire connecting the battery to the solenoid must have been corroded out badly (or else the connections just weren't clean enough - though they looked it).

Cleaned connections and replaced the wire - and back in business.

Thanks for all the help - got me going in the right direction.

:drinkup:

7. twinman326

Glad to help....Happy plowing........

8. Racer593

Racer593 Member

Glad it was an easy one.

9. st3ib

st3ib Junior Member
    from ohio

i'm having a similar problem. All solenoids get power, i get power to the motor, cleaned all terminals, but motor doesnt move. New motor feb 07 and hasnt been used much since so should be good. worked for a bit yesterday, then stopped, Help!!

10. twinman326

st3ib
    check your grounds to make sure they are clean and making good contact

What kind of plow??

11. st3ib

st3ib Junior Member
    from ohio

my issue was the brushes were all gunked up, cleaned them up, a little WD-40 and good to go!!! Just in time to make some money with this storm we are getting in ohio!!