1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni Mount Squeals Don't Move

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mtnxtreme, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

When I hit my hand held controller, the plow goes up, comes down, right, left then all of a sudden it squeals loudly, the motor moves so I can tell its working but the plow doesn't move, if I keep hitting the button sometimes it will suddenly work fine, any ideas, driving me crazy!

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sounds like you might have some ice build up or a bad solenoid......might try taking your controller to the dealer......they can bench test it to make sure its not messed up.

3. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

Should I pull the solenoid and check it, could it be dirty?

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You may not have to necessarily have to remove it to clean it, just depends on how much room you have to work. Maybe take some emery cloth and clean the studs.....smear some dielectric grease on the terminals.

Does the motor sound like its under a load when you run a function and then just stop and sounds like its getting ready for take off? You might be low on fluid.......just a thought.

5. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

I changed the fluid and I filled it , checked it and it was full after a few cycles, sometimes the motor screeches then it just kicks in like a little violently like something loosened up or unclogged, weird. Is this a single solenoid in the motor your not talking abt the one under the hood

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Unimount has one solenoid that control the motor and it should be locate under the hood...

Q; when you change the fluid, did you get the air out of the system?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

have you ck the connectors??? squeels and no move can also mean no valve moving.
    look at the grill connectors, look at the 9-12 pin for a broken wire right by the housing

8. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

I'm getting a strong reaction at the motor so I'm thinking the solenoid should be either work or no work I did not check for air how do you bleed? Will check wiring too The first thing I thought was a valve not working sounds like oil is trying to flow but is intermittent which could be stuck valve or air which were my first thoughts

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Lower the plow, push dwn ram all the way in. Then remove the ck plug on the drivers side of the housing. Remove the add plug as well. Air and fluid should escape from the ck plug when done draining add fluid as necessary, install both plugs. Operate plow, up, left, right, dwn,,,a few times. Then lower ram all the way and ck fluid level again.

I don't think its air. I think you have a wiring issue. That's just my .02. Just had a uni do that exact thing

10. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The way I would remove the air from the system would be manually. I would swing it from the left, and wait 30sec. Then do the same to the right. This way you are pushing the air out manually. Then I would check the fluid level once again, fill if needed. Then I would do it with the controller, left, then right, then up, then down. Once again, recheck the fluid.

Also as Dieselss stated, check the grill harness. Make sure they are clean. You can use a pair of channel locks to close the holes a little on the female harness (then plug without the tips). Just use a slight pressure. Then put some electrical grease so it will make a good and clean contact. Also check to make sure there is no broken or bent terminals.