1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni-mount short

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rofoth6, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

wires from controller to silinode burned up. No bare wires to short out. The2 small wires on silinode are the ones that burned. It looks like the one from the battery is the main one and that caused the other to melt. I noticed that when I checked the wires that they were slightly loose. Could that have caused my problem.

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

poor connections could of caused this issue due to it drawing more then it should. So yea that might of been the issue.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Which wires were loose at the SOLENOID?

4. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Both wires. Sorry about not having spell check on.

5. dieselss

Which. You have 4 at the solenoid.

6. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

Sorry. The 2 small wires, they run up to the controller.

7. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

hmm I thought it was the larger ones. Im not sure if the smaller ones would melt if it had a poor connection.

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

poor connections lead to resistance, which leads to heat, which leads to melting wires.

so yes, loose or corroded connections will cause wires to melt - regardless of the gauge of the wires in question.

every year i disconnect all connections at my battery, soleniod, engine block, etc. they all get cleaned, greased, and tightly reconnected.

9. dieselss

Well ill add this into the mix. If theres no pwr going to them, how can they short out? He never specified if he was using the plow or not. A HOT lead going to a stud that has no use at the time, and is loose will do nothing. But once a load is asked of it, sure it'll arc and play all kinda havoc

10. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

OOPS. I forgot to mention that I was using the controller. Was raising the plow when I seen smoke. It looks like the small wire that goes to the battery over heated and melted. Since both small wires are in their own little harness they both melted all the way up to the connecter to the controller.
    All the other small wires in the harness were not affected.

11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

those 2 small wires on the solenoid would not have melted unless power was supplied. so it makes sense you were using the controller. replace melted wires and ensure good, clean connections at all splices and connection joints.

12. dieselss

About how far up did they melt? I'm not 100% its from A loose wire just yet