1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni-mount question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cutbetterthanyo, Nov 26, 2012.

1. cutbetterthanyo

cutbetterthanyo Senior Member

Is a uni-mount a uni-mount or are there differences (heavydutyness of plow,wiring differances,etc.) I know they would have to be differences between v and straght and uni to ultra but i'm asking about uni straght blades .

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There are at least two uni-mount systems as far as mounts go. Regular and heavy weight. It is also possible to have various electrical hook ups and different hydraulic units on the light / regular version.

3. cutbetterthanyo

How do you tell the difference in light and heavyweight are they just built heavier or are the dimsions different? Could etheir be on a 3/4 ton? I am asking because i want to buy a plow and already have the mount but it 3hrs away i dont want to get there and it not work.the plow is a 7.5 poly.It is a uni isn't it? here some pics

western poly.jpg

western poly 2.jpg

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it's a Uni, and it's a Pro series. Back then you basically had the Standard and Pro. Standards were lighter and geared toward the light/residential user. The Pro's were the heavier duty models built for commercial use. They all used the same mount. So if the mount you have is for a light truck it will fit the mount.

Wiring can be a whole other matter. It's probably equipped with a 9-pin harness as that was the most common but could also be 12-pin. But you may have to change all the plow side wiring anyway depending on what you plan to install it on. You didn't say.

5. cutbetterthanyo

As far as plug i'll ask him today he hasn't said is that the only option 11 or 9 ? they make a converter for that to don't they?

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

if your truck is already set up for a unimount straight blade, then you should be good to go with that plow, unless it has been converted to isolation module wiring for some reason. it probably hasn't, but you can confirm that by asking him if there are just two plugs (the battery cable one and a 9 pin one).

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

he said his truck is already set up for a unimount, he just needs a plow. so as long as this plow hasn't been changed to 3 plug isolation (I can't see the pic well enough to tell for sure) it should be a good match (and as long it's not too heavy for the truck).

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

He said he has a mount. Didn't say it was on the truck nor was it wired so I clarified the wiring options based on that. :waving:

9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hey, you're right! oopsie! my bad.

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

In that generation wern't all the light duty uni-mounts the same? I know there were differences in the a-frames quadrants and blades but once you had a uni-mount truck mount they were all mechanically (if not electrically) interchangeable? The alternative I mentioned is what we call the "heavy-weight". I just installed one of them a couple days ago. This was mounted on a big tandem axel dump body but clearly the vehicle mount (uni-mount) is much larger than what I have seen used on pickup trucks.

The differences I was referring to on the hydraulic units was the possibility of Isarmatic (as in the picture) or flowstat in later years just before the converted to ultra-mount. Flowstat can be recognized by the separate / removable lift ram and the pressed tin reservoir. There was also the sideways mounted MVP flowstat that looks different but I believe is actually pretty much the same as the vertically mounted flowstat MVP.

Also to consider (correct me if I am wrong) but wasn't there a 9 and a 12 pin two plug setup? From what I remember both plugs look the same but in one all 12 pins are present and used where as on the 9 pin there are just three pins missing but the orientation of the pins in the plug was the same so they could be intermixed physically. I am wondering if the plow is 9 pin and the truck is wired for 12 or vise versa would there be problems?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the Uni's were the same, save for the HW of course.

Yes there was 9 and 12-pin on the Uni's, and the lesser known 7-pin as well. All were two plug except for the multiple harness Rube Goldburg approach DD used to run a 12-pin vee on vehicles that also needed 12-pin to run the lighting; so the results were two 12-pin harness's plus the usual battery harness, essentially creating a 3 plug relay system. Those were fun. Not.

Connecting a 9-pin plow into a 12-pin truck can work (when talking straight blades) but that depends on truck side specifics and how the plow lamps are configured. And a truck wired with 12-pin vee, generally no. Control functions, turns and markers aren't a problem, just the headlamps. Low beams specifically since they're split up in the 12-pin rather than being paired as in the 9-pin.