1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni mount pump relief pressure

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 86f350, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 86f350

86f350 Member

Does anyone know what the relief pressue valve opens at? My pump is putting out 2000 psi and movement is somewhat slow. Im wondering if my pressure is to high and trying to move the plow as well all blowing the excess pressure off. Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Relief should be set to 1800 PSI and no more. If it's slow then it has other issues such as a weak motor, poor electrical connection, weak battery or it needs the fluid and filter serviced.

3. 86f350

86f350 Member

it has fresh fluid and a newer motor. I switched out the pump two years ago cause it was slow and this new one was a bit quicker which i thought was right. But i used my dads the other day and its twice as fast granted his only has a couple of seasons on it due to it being a back up. So if the relief is set at 1800 psi then i think i might be right its trying to move the plow and lose the extra pressure at the same time so it does'nt have the volume that it needs to be quicker because some of its getting blown off. If i understand right if i turn the screw on the pump counterclockwise a quarter turn the psi should drop 225 psi?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Having the pressure set higher than spec does not contribute to a slower speed. What it does do is place extra demand on the motor, power cables, and the trucks electrical system.

Back it out a 1/4 turn to get the pressure down where it should be, although it won't fix the slow speed issue. The other things I already mentioned cause that.

5. 86f350

86f350 Member

It has new harnesses and two new batteries. Pump was rebuilt last year along with new angle rams. The motor is only a couple of years old. So everything should be pretty fresh.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Assuming your "fresh fluid" included a filter clean then it's time for an AMP draw test.

7. 86f350

86f350 Member

what would be an acceptable range for the amp draw?

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

This is going to sound crazy. I just spoken to someone in western, and I was told 150 amp draw for the motor. To me that sounds a little to high. That is what I was just told..

9. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I usually see 170-180 amps on good working system. If they get up around 200, the motor is tired. Of course the amp draw will vary slightly depending on the actual voltage and the fluid temp.

10. twinman326

That just king of weird....Thank god I have a 200amp alt, with a two battery setup

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The only time it draws max. amperage is when it's opening the pressure relief in the pump... when it's all the way raised or angled. You don't hold it there for any extended period of time. Raise the plow and hold the pump on sometime and watch your volt meter... Even with a 200 amp alternator and two batteries. :eek:

12. twinman326

Sometimes I see the volt meter go down from 14, to 10....But then the volt meter in the truck can also give a false reading especially when the head lights are on

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I generally let them go to about 170-180 AMP or so. After that (and with everything else being good) I'll then replace the motor. When they get to 200 or more is when you being to have major electrical demand issues.

14. 86f350

86f350 Member

Thanks alot for all the input ill have to test that soon.ussmileyflag

15. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

WOW, I would have never thought the draw was that high! Maybe I should be looking at a High Output alternator?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure why it's a surprise. A plow motor is nothing more than a starter motor and draws just as much as one, which can be in the hundreds of AMPS. Operating the plow is no different than starting your truck literally multiple times a minute and hundreds and hundreds of times a day.

And guys wonder why the lights dim and upgraded electrical systems are needed? :confused:

17. twinman326

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

WOW I wonder if this would work for increasing flow from the Alternator to the battery!!!

and gosh maybe even from the battery to the plow:eek:

20. twinman326

Above quote