1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni-Mount Problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by NHRA1877, Dec 16, 2010.

1. NHRA1877

NHRA1877 Junior Member

I bought a truck with a unimount plow on it about 5 years back. I was using the plow for a year and the truck broke so i disconnected the plow and it sat. I got a 2002 Dodge 2500 3 years ago that i had installed a plow frame and had a friend who installs plows install the wiring harness. I was not able to test the plow after i got the truck back from being wired and was not able to use it the last year.

I Finally got the plow connected 2 days ago and right from the start had problems. I had to replace the motor on the plow and had ice in the 9-pin connector. I cleaned the connector out as best i could and covered it in di-electric greese. When i first tested the plow i bumped the controller right and it bumped right, bumped the controller left and it bumped right. It would not raise.

Today i cleaned the 3 valves out and tested again, Still no luck, i began testing coils and i get magnetisim to the coil with the blue wire, but nothing on the other three and after many attempts the piston that lifts the plow moved about an inch and i have not gotten it to move anything else since.

Please help with any suggestions you can. Thanks!

2. NHRA1877

NHRA1877 Junior Member

Update!!!

I Have power to my green wire, i moved that to the S2? and the plow lifted, connected S2 and S3 with a jumper and the plow went left, however i dont have power to my other two wires, where should i look?

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Re-check the 9pin harness again( were they connect in front of the grill) and look inside to see if any of the pins are broken or bent. To do a good cleaning, use battery cleaner. Spray it, and let it soak for about 1 minute..Then use air to blow it out..

Your statement>>"When i first tested the plow i bumped the controller right and it bumped right, bumped the controller left and it bumped right. It would not raise. <<"

A) does the plow turn left??
    B) Did you change the fluid?

Here is a mechanical guide PDF. This has test and electrical schematic. Download and hold on to it.Look at pages 17-25
    View attachment 21936 Mech manual for western plow 1-18-09.pdf

Here is a link for "electrical schematics guide
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

Here is the wire colors for the S valves
    sol wiring.jpg

Here is a test procedure for the S3 (raise)valve (you can also use it for the other two remaining valves
    s3 raise.jpg

Like I mention, re-check the plug connection. Also check the grounds for good connections.. It sounds like you have a connection problem.. Also check the wires on the solenoid. Make sure they are clean and making good contact. Check the black/orange wire..This wire is a ground wire for the S valves, lights, and also comes off the solenoid. Check your controller plug (were is connects inside the cab) make sure it is connected firmly.

I had a problem were my plow did not want to turn right..I had a pin inside my controller connector that wasn't making good contact.. The mechanical guide has a test for the controller..The electrical has a wiring schematic for you type of harness and the controller.. These two PDf will save your life..Make sure you down load them and keep them handy..

sol wiring.jpg

s3 raise.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You might have a break somewhere.. Like I mention, check the 9pin harness were they both connect in front of the grill

Make sure you put the correct wires back on the correct S valves. These wires are connect through your controller harness, and so is the black/orange

2way=white/yellow
    3way=Ltgreen
    4way=Ltblue

Never assume anything... More clear information you give, the better we can help..

What year and make was the original truck the plow came off of??

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010