1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni-Mount Problem (Float Mode)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Bigman2006, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Bigman2006

Bigman2006 Junior Member

Hey guys,
    I have a older style (99?) unimount and when i push down on the top of the pump to loosen the chain the pump wont go down any farther. ive put all my weight on it and it wont budge. other than not being able to loosen the chain when the blade is on the ground plow works great goes up and down and side to side. any ideas on what it might be???? thanks!!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You do have the controller in the float position with the ignition on right?

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

How much of the cylinder is showing? Every plow is a little different. One of my plows shows none of the cylinder, another one shows about 3 inches. i just set the chain with the plow on the ground and the cylinder as far down as it wants to go.

No sure if that answers your question or not?

4. Bigman2006

Bigman2006 Junior Member

Yes i do have the controller in float position, i just got this plow this year. my other one on my older truck worked just fine last year. when i have the plow hooked up and raise it in the highest position it will only go up 6-8 inches. when the blades down probably about 5 inches of the cylinder shows.

5. bcf

bcf Senior Member

You can try loosening the big packing nut around the base a little.

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

you are right that every one of those plows are different as far as the height goes when there all the way down. 5 inches does seem a little excessive. adjust the packing nut as said before. also is this is your first year with this plow replace he fluid and the filter now so its not a problem later down the road.

7. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

Check your quill

There is a lowering speed adjustment. If this is set too far in it takes A LOT of weight to get the cylinder to go down. Problem is the quill adjustment is usually seized up after a few years. Also, as stated above flush the oil out and use a low temperature aviation hydraulic fluid such as Essso Univis HVI-13