1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni Mount Plugs Compatibility

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mtnxtreme, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

I just picked up a Uni Mount and at the plow I have a 2 prong plug and a 9 prong plug. My Jeep previously had a Uni Mount on it before I bought it so it has the brackets which line up, but the plugs at the bumper are 2 prong and 12 prong, now what do I do. I have a 6 prong hand held controller but I haven't found the existing plug in the Jeep yet, hopefully it's tucked up under the dash. I actually prefer the Joystick, I also notice they have 6 prongs are they interchangeable?

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, the 6 pin joystick and 6 pin hand held are interchangeable.
    I don't remember any Jeeps that used a 12 wire harness, so it should be ok. Even trucks like the 03-06 chevy that did use a 12 pin harness still worked with 9pin lights, you just don't have high beams in that case.
    also note that the 9 wire harness does have 12 holes on the truck side. it's just using 9 of them.
    hopefully that helps.

3. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

thanks thats a big help

4. mpellini

mpellini Junior Member
    from Polo IL

I have a question I have a 3 plug set up on my 2001 chevy and my plow side has a 2 plug set up I have the old truck side plug but thats it. My old truck was totaled and all we could get at was the plugs. Is there a way to cut the plugs off the truck side and replace them with the one from my old truck? any help would be great.

5. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

Cut the plug off the old truck, I just switched out my solenoid and I know 1 cable goes to the solenoid, don't know where the other one goes, I can look if it helps, but maybe someone else will chime in.

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

huh? ... let me see if I can sort this out..
    you had an old truck and a plow that had older two plug relay wiring (like most unimounts have), the truck got totaled and you have found another truck to replace it (what IS that truck btw?), and that truck is already set up with newer 3-plug isolation module wiring, right?
    In that case the easiest thing to do would be convert the plow to isolation by adding the 26357 harness to the power unit (assuming it's a straight plow), and rewiring the lights with a 26377 harness, or replacing the lights with 64100's.

cutting the plugs off relay wiring and splicing them on isolation harnesses doesn't make sense. the wires going to the lights and the wires going to the power unit have two separate plugs on iso wiring and they are both in one plug on relay wiring.
    let me know if I'm not reading this right, and I'll help best I can.

7. mpellini

mpellini Junior Member
    from Polo IL

your right it is a stright blade. My new truck is a 2001 chevy 1500. The guy that had it before me had a 7.5 foot unimount on it I also have a 7.5 foot unimount.when I called my local dealer they told me I had to buy a hole new harness for 700 bucks. I was hoping there was a cheaper and eazier fix then rewiring my hole truck. Thank you for the help

8. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Yes the correct way would be to update the plow to a 3 plug system.
    nealybird has listed 26357, but that is for the truckside which you already have.

The most cost effective way is part# 28053, it contains your light harness for the plowside,
    and has an addition plug that will hook up to to your coils for plow controls.
    The power cable remains the same. That makes up your 3 plugs.

www.snowplowpartswarehouse.com
    part# 28053 plowsite members get an additional 2% off the already low price
    for the remainder of January.ussmileyflag

9. mtnxtreme

mtnxtreme Member

told ya someone else would chime in, sorry it was such an expensive option, but I've seen used harnesses on e-bay pretty cheap, check it out, you might get lucky

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Oops. sorry .. 26359

11. mpellini

mpellini Junior Member
    from Polo IL

THANK YOU Guy I called my local Western dealer and they have #28053 in stock. I am going to pick it up and make it work