1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni mount plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LawnInOrder, Dec 20, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder Junior Member

hey i am a newbie when it ocmes to plowing. Been doing it with my garden tractor, golf cart and AtV. I have since then bought a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup with a plow. My question is when i lower the plow, the plow goes down really fast. Is there any way to slow it down? Is there an adjustment. Also when i lift the plow up on my older truck, the plow lifts all the way up, and the motor whines for a few seconds and then shuts off. Is that an adjustment, or is the plow motor going bad? maybe a selanoid? Let me know, Thansk LawnInOrder

2. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Sounds like normal operation to me. I know there is a quill adjustment for plow speed but I dont think it will adjust the lowering operation for the owners manual here is a link for you:

http://www.westernplows.com/publibrary.asp

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome! Your unimount plow does have an adjustment screw for the drop speed.It's located on the top of the valve block and it should take a straight blade screwdriver to turn it. The valve block is the big square block on the driver side of the lift unit that your angle hoses attach to.The "quill" as Western call's it is on the top of the block over near the corner.It'll be the only one there that you can turn with the straight blade screwdriver. Since you want to slow the plow down some you'll want to turn this screw clockwise.Only turn it a little at a time until you get it how you want it.It doesn't take much to effect the drop speed,only turn it about a 1/4 turn at a time before rechecking the speed. One very important thing before you touch the screw though,make sure you spray it with some penetrating fluid first. The quill screw on these pumps have a nasty habit of rusting in place. As to your other "older" plow is it a cable operated Western pump? Lemme know and maybe I can help you with it too.

4. LawnInOrder

Thanks you so much B&B. That is exactly what i needed. The other plow is the type of plow on a 1998 dodge ram 2500. Same plow. It is not a cable plow. It has the new controller type to adjust the lift and plow angle. the plow goes up and then it makes a whien noise for about 5-8 secs and then shuts off automatically. It is liek teh plow is trying to still go up but it can't so the motor is runnign but not doing anything ? I dunno. Thansk for the help so far, LawnInOrder

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd start with replacing the underhood solenoid.Sound's like it might be sticking after you let go of the joystick. Keep me posted.

6. LawnInOrder

Is there any way to bypass, or test out to see if it is that solenoid. Where would i be looking for the solenoid. Are they relatively cheap to replace or are we talking about sum big bucks. LawnInOrder

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's really not an easy way to test it for the symptoms your experiencing. If it's as old as the plow I'd recommend just replacing it as their cheap and easy to replace,should cost $20.00 or less. It should be mounted somewhere under the hood,like on the inner fender well or on the inside of the fender and somewhere not to far from the battery.Just follow the extra positive battery cable coming off your battery and It'll take you right to it. It'll have 4 wire's on it, 2 large battery cables and 2 small wires. Of the 2 small wire's one will be black with an orange stripe and the other will be brown with a red stripe.Just remove the wire's from their prospective post's and reinstall them on the new solenoid and you should be good to go. Also,make sure you check your grill connector plug's for corrosion too as corroded terminal's will cause these plow's to do all kind's of weired stuff!

8. LawnInOrder

Thanks so much B&B. Those were my exactly problems. I bought the selonoid for about $10 bucks and a bunch of other parts(pins, flags, clips and blade) from j-thomas. I put the parts in today since it was a mild day. Within 20 minutes it was all good. I am so happy. Sorry that i didn;t reply back eariler. I haven;t been around becasue of the holidays. I have been buisness. I hope everyone had a great chrismtas and i wish everyone a happy new year.
    LawnInOrder

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to hear you got it all fixed up.Congrat's!