1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni mount or Ulta mount?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjmstaff, Dec 17, 2003.

1. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I have a chance to buy a uni mount western 8ft for my truck. Would this set up be a mistake? Or should I look for a Ultra mount? I am having Timbrens installed in the morning to help with the load.

2. Admiral Hockey

Admiral Hockey Junior Member

I have the Uni-Mount with an 8' Pro Plow for my 86'f-250, and it is not a problem. I just make sure to keep the edge up on two 4x4 peices, and since I leave it outside put a peice of 1x2 under the "kickstand" it may take a couple extra minutes to hook up, but I think the Uni-mount is great.
    So can you do any plowing with the 172??? Last I knew there were no plow's yellow taged by the FAA
    Andy:drinkup:

3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I had an 8.5' Western Pro Plow Uni Mount on my 1997 Dodge 2500 (Cummins) a few years ago and I never had any problems with it. As the Admiral said, it may take a little longer to get it hooked up, but it's still a good set-up. A friend of mine has an Ultra Mount on his 2001 Chevy and loves the mount set-up, but hates the plow itself (hydraulic problems, bottoms out easy going into driveways, etc.).

Ryan

4. GPB

GPB Member

We've run several uni-mounts over the years and have had real good luck with them. Only complaint I have is it can be a pain lining everything up to mount them, especially alone. We bought a new ultra mount last year for our 02 Chevy. We are into our second season and have had no problems what so ever. The big plus is it takes me about 30 seconds to mount or unmount the plow. Just drive into the plow (you just have to be close, the plow will line up by itself),pull 2 arms down, plug it in and away you go. No more getting in and out of the truck 5 times trying to line the bracket up perfectly with the plow.
    With that said, the unimount is still a good plow. We still have one on another truck. It just takes a little longer to mount, thats all.

5. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

the ultra is better easier to take the plow on and off

im000187a (2).jpg

6. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

no stupid jack to use either

they also sell a kit to make your uni mount into an ultra mount

im000188 (2).jpg

7. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Thanks Guys. I should be picking my plow up on Monday.

God I love this Site!!!!!!:waving:

8. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

Ultra to Uni Conversion Kit

Hey ford250ldmaster, here's a pic of mine with the conversion kit. I ordered the Ultramount bracket for my truck to get the ground clearance, but I still have the Unimount plow.

conversion kit.jpg

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

the new ultra mount is like 30 seconds to put on its really great

10. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

Admiral,

The only problem you have with a 172 is the prop. It's a lot easier mounting a daniels pull plow, but every time you lift it the nose gear leaves the ground. Maybe the only way to get around the problem is to mount a scraper blade under the belly :p

11. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I am not sure but I think that will void my warranty.

12. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

But you'll have the satisfaction of having one of the fastest plow rigs around. I'm sure that Friendly Aviation Authority would give you a one time field authorization for it :angel:

13. PJPlowin'

PJPlowin' Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have a 96 ford 250 7.3 diesel with an 8' ultra-mount. I absolutly love this combo. Have had no problems with it whatsoever. It is built rock solid and it hooks up in about 30 seconds. In my opinion, you cant go wrong with this mount.

Paul

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing wrong with the unimount, its a great set up. As mentioned above, it is hard to get lined up when doing it by yourself but other then that its fine. Its not like any of the newer systems but the Unimount was the first "quick mount" type set up which allowed everything to be removed with the plow and it was well ahead of its time when it came out in the late 80's. The only thing that would prevent me personally from wanting a unimount is the mount hangs way too low on some set ups. Other then that it a fine set up and if you can get a good deal on one by all means go for it.

Ultra Mount is great too by the way

15. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i liked the uni mount better, when i had mine i just put the plow on a little cart so i could just push it up to the truck. it worked great. :waving: