1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni Mount on a ' 92 Isuzu Cabover

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Sno4U, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I want to transfer a old style uni mount to a ' 92 Isuzu/GMC cabover truck.Its a 3500 w/ a 14,025# GVW. I have a complete 8 ft plow but need everything on the truck side.
    Does Western even have a carton available for this truck?
    What about a wiring harness. I'd like to have the original joystick style controller.
    The truck has positive ground wiring. :cry:

2. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Oops sorry, actually it says "W-4" on the door. Nothing about it being a "3500".
    I don't know how many realize this, but it also says GMC on the grill but really its made by Isuzu. It has a Chevy 350 motor in it.
    ..and I'm not sure about the GVW. Its either 14025# or 14250#...either way it can haul ALOT!
    Right now it has a 14 ft van body on it. It used to be a furniture delivery truck.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Ok this is comming from someone who has installed 150 western plows. Its not worth the headace. There never was a mount for that truck, so it would have to be custom made by a dealer. The wiring would be a nightmare. Along with the truck will bottom out constainly, as the front ends already are over loaded. Along with those trucks are really under powered when you try to plow for them if they are gas. But diesels do pretty well. Also you really need a 8.5' or wider plow for that truck as its LOONNNGGGG truck.

So you might want to think about finding another truck.

4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I had a cabover a couple of years ago and we custom fabbed a mount to it.
    Yes, building your own mount is alot of work. Actually I should say making a different mount fit your truck is work but it held together thru thick & thin. We had a plow dealer do the wiring, for the plow and ran the headlites seperate, like in a conventional mount plow.
    We installed Pro Wings to make it wider than 8ft when needed.
    I made a mistake on the GVW on "the new" truck, its lighter than the old one @ 13,250# the front axle rating is 5290#, heck my Dodge/DIESEL is only 5200# and thats a 1 ton!-with a "V" on it.
    I do have strong concerns over this one overheating w/ the gas motor in it. The old cabover had the diesel in it @ 135 hp. I thought I'd do better w/ this having a v-8 in it.
    The reason for the post is,(not to be a poster who already has the answer to his own questions) is I was hoping to get a carton and do things easier this time around and was hoping someone on this site would provide insight as to other options than what I had to go thru before.
    The truck is cool for plowing. It can easily handle 2 pallets of salt. It has a very short wheel base and when you look out the windshield everything is rite in front of you. When you push snow over the edge of asphalt you have alot of reach. So this is why I want to build one again.

94 Isuzu 1.jpg

DSCN0277.jpg