1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni-Mount on '04 Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowandski, Feb 18, 2011.

1. plowandski

plowandski Member

Hey Guys - I'm getting conflicting answers from different people in regards to installing my unimount standard 7'6'' on my '04 silverado 1500... I've already installed the mount onto the truck and got the wiring in the mail today... I'm missing on cable unfortunately (61169)... my question is: Is it going to be a problem running this set-up? Some people have said I need to use the isolation module set-up, but i've got the 6-relay wiring which some other people said is fine... Could someone clarify if this is everything I need? I've got the 64077 harness for the lights and the Western truck side power kit which includes parts 61169, 22511, and 56131. I haven't got a controller yet, which leads me to my next question. The wiring I got has a 6-pin plug for the controller. Do I have to use the western or fisher controller with that same white plug on the controller side? Can I use the one with the black plug on the controller side? thanks in advance to the answers I'm sure I'll receive, the people on this site really are unbelievable with knowledge and willingness to help. Also, if anyone is in the Attleboro area and would like to make a few bucks lending me a hand, I'm thinking I'll probably need it.

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

You will be fine with the relay system on your '04 , check and double check your wiring , it is alot of connections.

You will need a white 6 pin plug controller to use with your setup, either handheld or joystick will be fine.

I have plenty of 61169 cables and a couple of handheld controllers if you end up needing either one .

I am in PA.

TOM

3. plowandski

plowandski Member

Tom,
    Thanks for the reply. This is my first plow... I've never wired a plow but am in the construction business so I'm not a complete rookie with wiring. I did a "dry" set-up of all the wires I have now in the kitchen. You're right, a lot of connections, but it doesn't seem very complicated if you just follow the directions... I will need a controller, 61169 is already being shipped, had it not been shipped already I would have rather purchased from you as this place wasn't very good. One more question... when I hook up all the relays, should I use electrical tape and tape all 6 together? Not sure if you've got a Silverado, but where should I tuck the relays to keep them out of any splash? There's not much length on the wires so it seems like I'll have to find a place to tuck them behind the headlights? Does that seem right? Thanks a ton for the help as I've been stressing about it.

4. mchur01

mchur01 Senior Member

Isn't it fun, doing your own??? I spent all day doing the last one.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Just make sure all you connections on the relays, solenoid (motor relay), ground wires are clean, have some dielectric grease and tight and secure.. Make sure the grill connectors also have dielectric grease in them as well

If the plow is used, give it a good flush, clean the suction filter (attach to the pump inside the housing) and the inside, put on a new motor gasket, fill it up with new "blue"hydraulic fluid, purge the air out of the system, and you should be good to go..

Don't forget to torque the bolt down on the truck frame or it will in time tear away from the rail (were the tow hook went)..

we are here if you need any more help...

Give Nasty-Z a shout and he will set you up on the remaining parts you need to complete the job......

6. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Don't stress about it , it'll get done.

I tuck the 6 relays behind the drivers side headlight on every one i've done , I usually tape all 6 together and orientate them according to the wiring drawing so it is easier to connect the wires.

Be sure to apply a good amount of dielectric grease to the connections on the relays before you tuck them away.

TOM

7. plowandski

plowandski Member

Damn, haha you guys are awesome on this site. I really appreciate it a ton. I'm hoping the 2 plug cable shows up tomorrow but I'm thinking I'll be spending a day next week. Got the dielectric grease... should I put that on all the connections on all the relays as well? The 12-pin plug came with it already on there... Not familiar with the pump so I'm not sure I'll be able to do what's needed for that perhaps just bring it somewhere. As for the relays... anyone out there have this set up on a Silverado? There's not much wire to put the relays very far behind the headlights... Anyone suggest electrical taping them together just to keep them all together and tight? Where should I tuck the relays away? How long do you think it will take me? It seems fairly simple once all the relays are set up... thinking about it now... should I hook up all the relays inside so I can be somewhat organized and then just bring it out to the truck and hook the plugs up? Thanks a ton for everything guys... As I mentioned earlier, if anyone is in the Attleboro, Ma area, I don't have much money but I'm willing to dish out $50-$100 if someone wants to chip in and help show me the ropes for a couple hours. Thanks again!

8. plowandski

plowandski Member

Damn you guys are quick... didn't even realize a few questions I just asked were already answered... so I will tuck them behind the headlights... should they be in the same compartment as the headlights or try to stuff them behind the little wall that's behind the headlights?

9. plowandski

plowandski Member

When I set up all the relays inside today for a dry-fit that's exactly what I did and it was pretty simple, just follow the colors... is that the most confusing/toughest part? I'm assuming running wires inside the engine will be trick, but not really confusing...

10. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

You will be fine , take your time , double check your connections and all will be good.

It is easier to run the headlight harness, control harness , and battery setup seperate and then tie it all togerther once it is in the truck.

Wish I was closer , I would stop by. traffic would kill me from Eastern PA. :laughing:

Shoot me a P/M for my cell # if you need any help .

TOM

11. plowandski

plowandski Member

Thanks a lot Tom, I will. I really appreciate it... haha ya, that'd be a hike and half from PA, haha

12. twinman326

Make sure when you "splice" the following wires

brown= ds parking light
    gray= ds turn signal
    purple= ps turn signal

the "bullets" are secure into each wire tight, and use dielectric grease on them as well. Also I would wrap black tape around then to make some what water tight..

As nasty-Z mention regarding the relays, also try to secure them to the fender well so they won't bounce around, and put some dielectric grease on the prongs as well..

Just take your time and you will be fine..

Just in-case always have a extra set

Veh

chev12pinveh.jpg

plow

chev12pinvplow.jpg

Just a personal note, if the truck lights do not switch over to the plow lights, I would go back and check the "BROWN" wire. This wire activates the relays to switch over from truck to plow..

The pictures post above are for a 12pin (your year vehicle does show a 12pin).. If your is a 9pin, let me know and I will post those pictures

chev12pinveh.jpg

chev12pinvplow.jpg

13. plowandski

plowandski Member

Mine is a 12 pin... it also says 12 pin H..? The picture above looks like there are 7 relays? What is the one all the way to the right? This one looks different from the diagram that I received with the kit...

14. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

The relay to the right is the motor solenoid . It is not one of the lighting relays .

Sent you a P/M also.

TOM

15. twinman326

In post #12 the electrical schematics comes from a electrical schematics that shows different wiring schematics for different harness.. This one is more in dept..I use those types of schematics to help others figure out their electrical problems..

Nope just (6) relays.. Like Nasty-Z mention, the other one is a motor relay (solenoid)..

16. plowandski

plowandski Member

Thanks... makes much more sense now. I've got a little bit of time today so I'm going to install the solenoid under the hood... anyone have any pictures or recommendations where to mount it? Does it have to face up or can it face sideways? Pictures would be awesome. Thanks again everyone.

17. twinman326

If your using a 22" battery cable, the you would have to mount it near the battery.. I have my mounted straight and mounted on the driver side because I have a "two" battery setup..

18. plowandski

plowandski Member

I've got one battery... i can mount it next to the batter IF it is ok to mount solenoid horizontally... anyone know if this is ok to do or anyone advise against it? My next option would be mounting to the actually wheel well rubber, is that a bad idea?

As far as lighting relays, should those be secured any certain way? Can I just tuck them behind the headlights? Should I make a simple mounting bracket I can zip tie them to? Do those need to be mounted in any particular direction (I'm thinking terminals up to avoid road splash?)?

Thanks in advance.

19. twinman326

There is no set way that I know of to which way a motor relay (solenoid) should be mounted, and should be mounted on metal for ground purpose .. The choice would be yours..

Some relays have a mounting holes for a screw to be put into them..I guess you don't have that.. Mine are mounted (pins) downward..I have them tape together (us a zip tie if you like) and mounted an the side of the battery so I have access to them when needed...

20. plowandski

plowandski Member

Thanks twinman... I just mounted it earlier and mounted it on the metal just behind the headlights so it's point towards the cab of the truck. It's a good spot in relation to the battery and relays to try and keep it neat (if that's possible).

As for the relays, you're right, I don't have any mounting tabs or anything on them. I've taped them together so they are one brick of relays. The side of the battery sounds like a good idea. My only issue with that is that the plugs for the headlights won't be close enough to reaching at all. Any harm in cutting the plugs off and extending the wires? Would those extra couple connections just be asking for problems? Would I be better off trying to stuff them behind the headlights? I feel like stuffing them back there is going to be realllly tight and eventually I would lose some connections to bouncing around back there. I really like the battery idea. How did you attatch them to the battery? I'm thinking just some double sided heavy duty tape? Seems to be well protected from the weather. Thanks again.