1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni mount MVP problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jdbconstruction, Dec 18, 2010.

1. jdbconstruction

jdbconstruction Junior Member
    from ny

I have a new to me older MVP that has worked good the first couple times i have used it. Recently I lost the left and right function while in straight blade, but scoop, vee, and either wing function worked fine. Last time I was out I finished my route put it in vee and headed home. When I got home to do my driveway I went to put it in scoop and the left wing does not move. Right wing moves as should but left does nothing. I checked S1 S2 AND S3 and check valve a and they were fine. Is it possibly air in that ram or any other suggestions. Thanks again.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

To make sure, u did say you have a "unimount" MVP plow??

The S5 valve control the right (PDF page #21)..The S2 retract the right ( PDF page #24)Did you test the valve? Do a magnet test. Using a screw driver, have someone move the controller to the right. Using the screw driver touch the end of the valve (top were the nut is). If the screw driver sticks to it the coil is fine.

Here is the signal test
    isct.jpg

Here is the activation test
    scatA.jpg
    scatB.jpg

Here is the Unimount MVP mechanics guide.. Look on the pages I mention. I would down load it.. This pdf has a lot of info to help you out..

Let us know how you are making out
    http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/21857_061503_web.pdf

isct.jpg

scatA.jpg

scatB.jpg

3. jdbconstruction

from ny

Yes it is a uni mount. I have yet to check S5 due to running out of time.. I downloaded the manual yesterday and have to really go thru it.when i ohm ed the coils on S1 S2 abd S3 they were 5, 5 and 10 in that order it said good ones should be around 7 but i don t really know what a close range is.

4. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I've had multiple issues with mine in the past, finally 2 years ago just ordered new truck and plow wiring harnesses and it cured this dreaded problem. Mine always seemed to be electrical when the wings would go spastic, usually had to brake clean the multi pin ends, swab them out with something to make sure it was fresh metal vs green crude, then i'd use a small screwdriver to spread the male pins apart to open them up, and make a tighter connection...all the years of plugging/unplugging wore both sides of the pins/sockets and connection was minimal.

5. twinman326

Did you follow the activation test (post #2)?

Did you check the ground wire the connect to the S valves?

6. jdbconstruction

from ny

I will have to do a complete valve test tomorrow. When I hit the left wing button the wing jerks like it wants to move but that's all it does, so i don t know if the valve is stuck. I'm pretty sure it s not an electrical problem because the pump runs when I hit the button.
    edit: Also it says 7 ohms for the coil and mine were 5 and 10 , is that within the allowable range

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  7. twinman326

The S valve might not be spooling/retracting correctly. If that the case, you might have to replace the valve..Between 5/10 for each one, or 5 for one, and 10 for another. If that the case, I would say it not in range..It could be possible you might have a weak coil.. That were the magnet test comes in. Using a screw driver and have some push the controller, and the screw stick to it good and tight, then I would say the coil is good. U just might have something in the valve port. I do know it is known for the suction tube to fall off inside the housing..

Where are you locate in NY??

8. jdbconstruction

from ny

2 of the coils I tested on top of the pump read between 5 and 5.5, and one read 10. I am gonna go back thru tomorrow and apply 12v to the valve to see if they spool, and ohm all of the coils again. I am located in Akron which is outside of Buffalo.

9. twinman326

Well let me know how you made out.........

10. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

hello twinnman you guys helped me out the other day with my plow.I to thought is was a coil or a S,1,2,3 valve But it was not, it was my plugs.They neede to be cleaned with brakeclean and a small wire brush and some dielectric grease and now it works fine. Could this be his problem as well????? Just tryin to give back what was help to me Thanks Thumbs Up

11. twinman326

Could be, I thought I wrote that in one of my post, guess not.

Do check the plug connectors in front of the grill to make sure they are clean, and making good contact.. But then it could be a seal leaking around the valve itself..

Thanks Dirish for bring that up.........

12. jdbconstruction

from ny

I fixed both problems. It was a combination hydraulic and electrical problem. I had one stuck valve, S4 or S5 can't remember which now, and a bad wire from the controller to the truck/plow wiring. Thank you so much twinman326 for the help with the solenoid tests. It was confusing cause i didn't t think it would be both but i finally got to the bottom of it. Thanks again and happy plowing.

13. twinman326

Your welcome.........Most likely it was the S5...Download the PDF.........You might need it in the near future.. Both connectors should be check and clean every snow season or before.. I usually work on my plow every summer to get it ready for the snow season...

Happy holidays, and safe plowing.....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010