1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni Mount MVP possibly twisted

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by powerstrokesnow, Feb 2, 2014.

1. powerstrokesnow

powerstrokesnow Junior Member

I have an older Western MVP and I noticed as I had been plowing for quite some time that my driver side wing wasn't cleaning up, so I took to clean level pavement and my driver side wing isn't touching for about the last ft or so of the blade. I had put new blades on in the beginning of the season and now the last ft of the passenger side blade is worn down about 1- 1/2" more than any other part of the blades. The rest of the blade is all about the same. Im not sure if I have tweaked the frame hitting a curb or what. The truck mounts look good the a frame looks like the closest brace towards the truck mount is slightly bowed but doesn't look bad at all. Anyone had this issue? if so how is the easiest way to tweak it back? or can it be? I was thinking about putting the tractor bucket on one side and jacking up the other but hoping for some insight

2. rjm06590

rjm06590 Member
    from de

Is the truck lifted? Is the fame level with the ground or angled up/down toward the truck?

3. powerstrokesnow

truck is stock height, and I believe it is level however I have been loading it pretty heavy with salt so it may be pulling it up in the front slightly. Would that cause it to wear that way?

4. rjm06590

rjm06590 Member
    from de

Do you plow in v a lot? Maybe in v or in scoop its wearing the outer edges faster than the middle.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

V plows r very sensative to a-frame angle. That is why they have the usual 4 hole course config options plus the four bolts at the rear of the a-frame.
    I think u should first verify that your swivel bar is floating properly. Look at the truck end of the a-frame. You will see a big bolt right in the centre just under the bumper between the receivers. That is the swivel bar axis bolt. With the plow elevated the blade should rotate up and down on the wing tips. If the swivel is seized the blade will b fixed to the truck and will not follow the contoures of the road if the pivot bar is free moving check that the a-frame is parallel to the ground when the blade is resting on the ground

6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

It's a unimount MVP not a ultramount.

7. mishnick

Ok I see now in the tittle "uni". So probably something bent as suspected.

8. powerstrokesnow

I don't plow in any position more than any other that I can think I usually try to be conscious of switching angles frequently and its only wearing the passenger farthest ft of the blade. the rest seems to be wearing fairly evenly, so you think I can twist it back or will it cause more damage.

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You have to figure out what's twisted or bent first.

10. mishnick

From my limited experience with Unis they rely on the slop in the pins to allow it to float a bit on uneven roads. If your pins are all very tight then the contact of the cutting edge with the assfault will depend on the way the truck is sitting. So if you are loading a lot of salt / gravel in a sander and it's not mounted in the center of the box or your suspension is weak on one side then the truck will be sitting off square. This would wear the blade unevenly too.

11. chad5.0

chad5.0 Junior Member

Lay a straight edge down each side of the a frame, you will probably find one side has a bow to it from hitting something. I went through this a few years ago after I found a rock just off the edge of a parking lot. I pulled the a frame and took it to a machine shop that had a big press and they straightened it .

12. powerstrokesnow

How high should the mount be set on a uni? And where exactly are supposed to measure? On my hinikers its supposed to be 9-10 to the bottom of the fork

13. mishnick

The ideal setting is when the a-frame is parallel to the ground. Park the truck on a flat (close as possible) level garage floor, drop the plow and then put a torpedo level on the a-frame. Choose the holes in the mount that brings it closest to level as possible. Installation instruction says center of main mount pin hole should be 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 inches off the ground with the plow mounted but resting on the ground. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13660_021797.pdf See top diagram on page 3. This is for a GM but this dimension is the same for all unis to the best of y knowledge.