1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni mount lights wont work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dhoff25, Dec 29, 2015.

1. dhoff25

dhoff25 Junior Member
    from iowa

I installed my uni mount plow on my new truck 2005 f150 was previously on 2002 ford f150 I had to modify mount a little bit worked great but I cannot get lights to work on plow I bought new headlight ends for wiring harness to plug into truck but cannot get lights to work anybody have any ideas previous truck did have drl on it

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How many relays are you using?

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

HA!! Same trailer different park. Why do we keep bumping into each other?

x2 on relay count - we need to know the harness you currently have unless you happen to have the part number handy!! Thumbs Up

4. dhoff25

dhoff25 Junior Member
    from iowa

Don't know part number but it uses 2 relays thanks!

5. dieselss

6. Philbilly2

so the old truck had DRL's and you have a 2 relay harness? did they work?

7. dhoff25

dhoff25 Junior Member
    from iowa

Yes they worked in old truck and not sure if negative or positive I do not know much about the wiring side I just use it on my own driveway I did hook it up in old truck though and everythi g did work

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the 2005 F150 would be H13 headlights, and there is no relay wiring headlight harness for those. what did you do to make the HB5 or whatever harness plug into them?

9. dhoff25

dhoff25 Junior Member
    from iowa

I bought new ends and wired them on to the wiring harness so that they would plug into my truck figured that would work but I guess not so not sure what to do now

10. dieselss

Ultramount wiring. Or just add toggle switch for the lights.

11. dhoff25

dhoff25 Junior Member
    from iowa

Ok thanks I'll probably just try to run toggle switch

12. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There are so many different headlight harness kits ranging from 2 to 6 relays. Your truck didn't exist when Western stopped building harnesses for the uni-mounts. If the old truck had only two headlights (not four) and the new truck is the same then there is hope that you could make it work by identifying (as suggested above) if it has switched positive or switched negative. Then you have to just reverse engineer it using the schematics. The alternatives are to convert the plow and truck to a three plug isolation module system (which means spending money replacing all the harnesses on truck and plow) or you can just use the western control harness without the light functions and install a manual truck / plow headlight switch, also suggested above.

13. dhoff25

dhoff25 Junior Member
    from iowa

Any ideas on what wires to switch around and would I do that at the relay

14. mishnick

That's a matter of reverse engineering. Have a look at the schismatics manual:
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf
    First you have to count the contacts in the grill plug with the small pins, it will be either 9 or 12. Then go to the relay section and find your vehicle wiring system, finally do the reverse engineering to make your lights work. No one can tell you how to do it without being there. What I can tell you is that it won't be easy. Even the original harnesses that were designed to work and had step by step instructions were a challenge. Worst case is you need six relays, each with 5 connections, that's 30 + places to make an error. I have seen experienced installers pulling their hair out over these things.... Including myself... That's why Western upgraded to the isolation module, three or four plugs.

15. Philbilly2

Ah... there is the missing link...

16. mishnick

You can't just put new ends on.... Assuming you are talking about the three wire headlight plugs... Every bulb has a different orientation for high, low and ground. At least you need to put a test light on to make sure those three signals are in the right place. I think you would be best off to do the toggle switch thing.