1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni-Mount lighting problem / question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Pro Lawn Care, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Pro Lawn Care

Pro Lawn Care Member

Ok so I had my plow on tonight and noticed that my parking lights are not working and I can’t find my mechanics repair guide. Could someone send me a link to look it up or tell me what I need to test the truck side harness? I know if I jump 2 pins it will simulate the plow being on the truck and I can then use a test light to see if it is the truck side harness or the plow side. Oh yeah I spent about 2 hours looking on Westerns website and couldn’t find it.
    Here are the specs you may need to help here.
    92’ Chevy with HB-3 / HB-4 headlights
    No DRL’s (Daytime Running Lights)
    No Isolation module just the two relay setup
    9 pin Harness
    7’6” Steel Uni-mount Pro plow
    Joystick controller
    Stock Western headlights
    9 pin Harness
    Everything else works as it should, all the lights and everything?
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do the plow lamps and turns work? If so then the issue is somewhere on the from the grill plug out to the plow park lights on the brown wire, not likely a truck side issue. If you' like to dig through the diagram you can find it on pg 19 here.
  3. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

Same thing is happening to me, but with my turn signals. Have a 8ft Uni-mount on a 99' Ram and everything is working except the turns. Parking lights are working, but I spliced them into the headlights. Only the headlights worked when I got the plow out this year and parking and turn bulbs were corroded and rusted. Replaced the bulbs and the parking lights work, but the turn signals are still out. Maybe I should have spared the extra $100 and had the shop do the wiring instead of all my paper clip splicing!
  4. Pro Lawn Care

Pro Lawn Care Member

Yes all my other lights work.

I just replaced the "guts" of all 4 sockets. Everything worked fine on the bench but when I put it all back together I have no marker lights? I would still like to know how to test the socket because this is the 2nd year for that plow on that truck but last year I put it on late in the season and the lights didn't work then either. I thought it was just due to the nasty sockets but I guess not.

Anybody know what 2 pins to jump in the truck side socket to kick the relays over so I can simulate the plow being attached.
    Then I can use a test light to make sure the truck side is good?

Measure twice and cut ounce!
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can test the socket contacts (for both power and ground) with a test light and back track through the grill plug toward the truck from there (see below).

Supply ground to pin #5 on the truck side grill plug with a jumper wire to simulate the plow being plugged in. Although to work with the marker lights you don't need to do so, the marker feed is hot any time they're on whether the plow is attached or not. In fact you can check for marker output at the grill plug with a test light in pin # 11 and it should be there. If you don't have it there you won't have any markers on the plow side.

You do have maker feed at the relays though, or else you wouldn't have plow lights. So most likely the brown wire is either broken in the harness or there's a problem in the grill plug, both are very common. A little digging with the trusty Ole' test light will reveal all.
  6. Pro Lawn Care

Pro Lawn Care Member

Great thanks for the correct pin number ill check it in a little bit!!!