1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni-mount light questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kuryssnow5, Oct 26, 2006.

1. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

i have a 7.5 ft uni-mount on a 2001 chevy 2500HD and when the plow is on i have low beams work good and when i want to switch to high beams the lights actually get dimmer. Has anyone experienced the same problem? Is it the light itself or is it a wiring probles? If it is a wiring problem is it in the relay pack?
    Also i have seen the new nighthawk lights for the western unltra-mount, could i put them on a uni-mount and would the wiring be the same or will have have to do some mods?
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I would check your relays replace them with genuine western relays. I had a problem with mine a few years back only the high beam would not work, until I replaced the relays, but before you get relays check for a bad ground.
  3. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

yea i have allready replaced my relays about 4 times in the past 2 years.
  4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I like my 2 Westerns, but got to say, the relays are a Pita. Carry an extra set with me for both plows! Change the relays, then check the wiring.
  5. doh

doh Senior Member

I am on my first set of relays, since 98. Second plow on the same harness.

And they were on the bottom of the lake for 6 days.
  6. killakane138

killakane138 Junior Member

Got Ya

1. Check Relay Wiring, If All Checks Out.. Replace With Western Genuine Or Bosch Ive Had Better Luck With Bosh I Must Say

2. As Far As Converting To The New Ultra Mount Lights, I Know That The Dont Use Relays, The Have A Self Contained Cpu Which Acts As A Relay System, So I Mean It Might Be Possible But I Wouldnt Go Further With The Conversion Until Winter Passes, But In My Mind, No It Wont Work! Sorry
  7. This sounds like it could be a good story
  8. doh

doh Senior Member

LOL well it is now X Mas eve 2000 I parked my truck in 35' of water.
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a bad connection.