1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni mount frame paint ? is rubberized ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by manray, Jan 29, 2011.

1. manray

manray Junior Member

Hallo Mates :

New guy here - time off and decent weather so am tackling rust issues on my truck

on Uni Mount Frame .... I am stripping down to base metal - but the original paint is thick THICK - almost rubberized - anyone know what is the paint ?
    hope to be able to get something close to handle the road debris of daily use

enjoy weeks end

cheers in advance

2. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

how old is your frame? It might be powdercoated. which is where they bake the powder particles on the metal. very durable way of painting things, however its a mother to take off!

If your going to re-paint, i would suggest a rust preventative base coat/primer.

3. manray

manray Junior Member

say LVHardscape :

Cheers for the reply - my rig is older - at least 10 years old perhaps older as mounted to '93

hmm . have not worked much with powdercoating -

on the front rails ( truck had salt spreader - lots o cancer on rails ) already applied Rust Bullet - only think I dont like about POR and Rust Bullet - is they will chip - and my truck spends much time on the freeways - road debris is a concern

maybe I seek someone to powder coat the one piece

cheers:

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What is was is irrelivent... What are you going to refinish it with? Powder coat is certainly the best but not something you can do yourself. When I refinish, if owner doesn't want to spend the money for powdercoat, I use endura two componenet paint. It's the same thing that we use on dumptruck boxes. Very durable, comes in many colours and you can spray it on with a normal spray gun. Be sure to sandblast before paint and use a good primer. Also be careful not to get paint in anything precision. Paint can make it very difficult to get pivot bolts etc back in. Don't paint the springs with endura or powder coat unless you can stretch them open during the application. Paint will just stick the coils together as it dries.

5. manray

manray Junior Member

say mishnick :

cheers for the reply /options - the dump box paint idea is good I think for me - I was thinking maybe trying RV Roof Paint with a flexible paint top coats -

just doing mount frame now - will tackle blade and A frame at later date - I worked with some school fencing guys a while back - they had a rubberized thick coating on fence posts - is great till blemished/cracked - but sure looked durable

cheers:

6. LVHardscape

LVHardscape Member

sand blast to bare metal and rhino line/bed liner!! :cool:

not sure how it'd work. Dump body paint is deff. an excellent idea tho.

7. manray

manray Junior Member

say LVHardscape :

Used truck bed liner paint on a fuel tank - looks great for a moment but does not perform great with road debris - Rhino liner would be better - but there you will pay probably more that Powder Coat I suspect - for me I know I should powder coat it - cant see putting rusty equipment back on a freshened rail

cheers:

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would be concerned about the bed liner texture. Being so ruff it is impossible to clean up. Something smooth with a shine would be nice to clean when you have an oil leak from the plow. No matter what you use make sure it is two component, that is paint and hardner. If it's not two componenet then it will dissolve if you leake plow oil on it.

9. manray

manray Junior Member

say mishnick :

good point - didnt think on this possible leakage - I will make a run tomorrow to Auto Paint store and ask the wizard
    cheers: