1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uni mount 9 to 12 pin crossover

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by robber27, Jul 2, 2014.

1. robber27

robber27 Member
    from NE Iowa

I have a question for the western guru's out there. I have a 7'6 strait uni mount that's a nine pin on the plowside. I have a almost new harness that's a 12 pin unimount harness (truck side). I want to throw together another truck since I already have the mount and harness for a 90's chevy laying around. Is it possible to switch over the plowside to accept the 12 pin harness? The plow side wireing is shot and needs all new electrical anyways, all the plugs are shot. I would like to do this somewhat cheap but reliable since this plow will most likely be retired in the next coupple years for a new one.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it is possible. If I remember correctly tho, installing the 12 pin harness on the trk is a pita. But I could be wrong
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Installing the 12 pin harness on the plow side is pretty easy, just pull the old one and install new, colors will be the same and externally they look identical other than the plug. Both the 12 and the 9 pin used one plug for both the valve solenoids and all the lights (newer non multiplex plows have three plugs, one for motor power, one for solenoids and one dedicated to lights). The only real difference I recall between these two is that on the 9 pin there is only one wire feeding both high beams and one feeding both low beams on the plow. The 12 pin has one wire for each high and one wire for each low beam lamp on the plow. The 12 pin system is better because if you loose one side headlight you won't necessarily loose both....

As far as truck side goes they are both pretty much the same. Both use relays to switch headlights between truck and plow, relays suck but sticking with the old relay system is much cheaper than upgrading to the new isolation module system for which you would need to change all your cables, plow and truck side, and put out about $1000 in parts.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014