1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uni Light issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tjslider, Dec 13, 2010.

1. tjslider

tjslider Member

Hey guys....

1993 Explorer -- HB-1
    6-6 Unimount plow.

Here's my problem... No Lights at all on the plow... Markers or headlights.
    Replaced both relays, I can hear them clicking when I turn the lights on.
    Truck markers are on as well as the drivers headlight.

Bad relay?? Bad wire?? Connected wrong??

I didn't get much troubleshooting done after that....

Of course it happens with 4" on the ground!!!

Thanks in advance.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

A) I ran into the same problem a while ago.. Now this might be your problem, but check it any way.. Check the small wires on the solenoid to make sure they are clean( I would take them off and clean the,) and good contact.

B) Make sure the wire connect to the truck parking light is connected or broken.. This wire activate the relays to trip the plow lights when you turn on the head light switch.

C) check the ground wire (black/red) wire also to make sure it is clean and making good contact. This wire is connect to the solenoid and plow motor or plow frame

Start from there and see what happens. Let us know
  3. tjslider

tjslider Member

Thanks for the options... I have found out one major problem... Headlight switch in the truck is bad!! Gonna swap it this afternoon and see what happens. Never would have guessed the switch is shot.

All plow motor functions work just fine. Up/Down/Left/Right are all good. Its just a lighting issue. When I replaced the relays I also crimped on new connectors, so I don't think it that part of it. I'm going to run a test ground for the lights next. Hopefully get it fixed this afternoon, supposed to get hit again tonight.

Thanks for the ideas!

4. tjslider

tjslider Member

Well... finally fixed!!

PS parking/turn socket on the plow was shorting out. Interesting how the lights were working and not working with a fuse blown. Turns out, the relays took the abuse and were jumping power back to the parking lights. I have never seen anything like that before. At least its fixed.

Now I have five extra fuses, four extra bulbs, three extra relays, two hacked up harnesses and a plow truck with all lights working!!!

Have a great holiday everyone. We are supposed to get hit tomorrow night, might get a white Christmas.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Well at least you have extra parts.......I also have them as well.. Amazing what one wire would do. Just keep in mind, the parking light on the driver side, activates the relays.

Happy holidays, and safe plowing