1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unfreezing/declumping bulk ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fredhedd, Feb 10, 2007.

1. fredhedd

fredhedd Member

if my spreader is full of hard bulk, can i put it indoors, in the heat, and expect the salt to loosen?
  2. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

NO, get out the hammer and start breaking it up. Its not fun. Been there. I have tried to leave small amounts in mine before and it hardens. Good luck
  3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

We've never had salt freeze up in the tailgate spreader of the v-box, we have had it freeze in the back of the truck with the tailgate spreader, Parked it in the heated shop for a couple hours, and it dryed out and was like new salt. Now I can't say if it will work when the salt is in basically a container. But I would imagine, it would work on the top. clean that off and maybe keep cleaning the top newly dryed layer. that or it may just be like salt sitting in the back of a truck and just dry out and become lose again.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think it will loosen to the point where it will spread but you will have an easier time getting it out with a shovel.
  5. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

No joke it took me about 4.5 hours to get 2 yards out of my 5 yard hopper. The best way to do it is with a power washer. The water will break it up. But be advised, its gonna take a lot of time. IT IS BY FAR THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER HAD TO DO...

I would rather pick needles out of hay stacks with boxing gloves on. Or better yet, pick fly turds out of pepper

6. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

We have radiant heat in our shop. Parked a salter than needed attention after a long day. Was planning on dealing with it the next day. The Radiant heat did help alot. It did not make it spreadable however it was much easier. to break up
  7. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Well if you leave it in the heat long enough, it will be ready for next season. Best bet is to get the shovel out and the pick, and start having a go at it.