1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unfamiliar fluffy white powder falling from sky here in Ontario.........

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 75, Dec 28, 2001.

1. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

.................................starting at about 5:00 pm this afternoon. As of right now (10:30 pm) about 4" + on ground and still coming down.

Need to refer back to operator's manual to figure out how red blade-shaped thing on front of truck works since it's been so long since it was used................ ;)

Looks like the first real "plowable event" of the season here in my area, if it keeps up over the weekend I can finally see some $$$ coming back in!

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Rob,

Make a call to Buffalo, they can fill you in on the white stuff!

:p

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

sheesh , all weve done is some commercial properties so far. sure would like to do the entire route, and soon.. hopefully tomorrow--well see though

4. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I read that Buffalo got about 7 feet in the last 5 days. :eek:

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Dont get me started about describing what white fluffy stuff is!

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hey, Rob. Now maybe you can make the payment on that Harley?:D

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Re: Harley payment:

Mick - yep, that's where the first couple hundred dollars is headed! :D

Looks like about 6" total for this snowfall, it's stopped now. Other areas nearby got more - 1/2 hour to the west where one of my co-workers at the full-time job lives, they have about a foot on the ground and still falling. How do I know? Just got a call from him saying he'll either be late or not in at all today - slid into the ditch beside his driveway on the way to work.

His road wasn't plowed yet because, same as the industrial park our workplace is located in, the township doesn't show up till mid-morning or so to clear the roads - he's on a fairly minor one, so it's not exactly at the top of the priority list. :(

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

ROB, Alexandria Bay gettin clobbered ! Another 5 inches
    last nite ! About 20 inches on the ground. Addition still
    not full finished. Jacuzzi in tho ! Haven't plowed in
    Hannibal once ! 0 snow...........Lucky you !
    Dad sez HEY !......................Geo

9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Just got in from another day of plowing, got an inch or so over night, just salted the commericals and went to the BK for breakfast at 7 am, we don't get lake effect, but snow squalls off the Bay of Fundy, 4 or 5 inches in an hour, had to do all my commercials over and the residentals. just realized this is the 7th plow day this month, equals last Dec. What will Jan bring?

Bill

10. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey sonjaab! Maybe not quite as much as you have up at Alex Bay, but we're getting a decent helping of snow too (finally) around here.

It started back up yesterday evening, about 12" - 15" accumulation plus some drifts - was quite windy this afternoon, but they've eased off now. For the last few hours it's been falling at about 1" per hour.

Was out last night for several hours, did the lot at my workplace twice and one driveway. Rest of the time was working for the contractor I'm subbing for.

Old "relic" of a truck did pretty good, but I did have a charging system snag at the end of the night. Pulled it into the shop, thought it was the alternator but the problem turned out to be some of the wiring which was starting to show it's age. Under regular use it was fine, but the constant load imposed by plowing (hydraulic pump/lights/wipers/flasher etc) was too much for one of the terminals. Re-wired as needed and lots of amps now.

On the one hand, "nuisance" problems like that will happen with an older truck. On the other hand, those older (simple) trucks CAN be repaired easily.

I'd better grab a few Z's - pretty sure there will be more plowing to do tonight................... :)

11. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Update:

Sorry no pics :( - I don't have a digital camera yet. (Hey, I ain't even got a digital watch!)

18" accumulation on the ground right now, it was snowing heavily the past three hours and has slacked off for now. Got a full night's work in, and no truck/plow snags! :)

Going to go and plow out the lot at my workplace, then take it easy for a bit - may be out again tonight.

12. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

"May be out again tonight"................

.................................. was out ALL last night! After holding off all day, it snowed a bunch around 8:00 pm - 1:00 am.

Just had a few Zzz's, going to do the lot at work now so they can get in tomorrow - this will the fifth time I've plowed it since late Friday night!

I think the snow has moved on, clear blue sky now and c-c-c-cold - down to about -12C now, from the steady at -4C it's been all weekend.

13. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

"Snow event" all finished.............

....................................our snowy weekend here in Orillia is over now, it was a good way to start the New Year. Snow definitely equalled $$$ the last few days.

Since late Friday night, I have 21 - 1/2 hours to submit for sub work, as well on a per-push basis I did the lot at my workplace 5 times and one driveway 4 times - total hours the truck was actually pushing snow is about 30.

About 2 feet of snow fell in total, roughly 6" at a time spread over the weekend. Did the majority of the plowing at night because it tended to snow in the evening, as well the industrial park is a lot quieter at 1:00 am. Timing of the snowfalls made it pretty easy to keep up, typically we started about midnight and I finished up around 6:00 am, while the contractor had a longer day servicing his residential customers.

Although it didn't snow yesterday, there was still work to do: The back lots of the commercial properties (all 4 buildings actually belong to the same company, Hot Knots, who provide a full range of marine sales & services) so arrangements had to be made to shut off the alarm systems & open the gates.

Used 2 trucks and a backhoe working as a team for that job - with some of the boats being worth $100,000 +, having proper insurance was v-e-r-y important! The backhoe was great for breaking a trail and stacking, as well as backdragging the doors. Also, snow had to be scooped out from around the boats/trailers to allow them access to haul them into the shop - they're opening back up after the Christmas shutdown.

We started at 10:30 last night and were done by 3:30 this morning - everything went smoothly so the few extra hours we'd allowed "just in case" weren't needed. Naturally, if we had NOT allowed a bit of a time cushion there would have been all kinds of problems..............................

When they open up at 8:00 today, they'll be all plowed front and back and we'll be long gone home.

Got back to my shop around 4:00, and they were only about halfway through getting it all plowed! (I don't look after my area of the lot anymore - used to be everyone had to take care of their own snow removal, that got confusing at times so one contractor does all the lots/buildings now)

I saw a fair number of plowers out at that time working to get things ready for this morning, I'm glad we started a bit earlier and got done well ahead of the morning rush.

I mentioned my wiring "snag" in the first post, only other thing I had to do to the truck was tighten up the tilt column. It was getting a bit loose before, but cranking that wheel around so much, it was starting to feel pretty floppy. Did some disassemble/tighten/reassemble on it yesterday afternoon. Later today I'll give the truck a going-over to make sure everything is in order.

Downside to using an older truck - minor repairs such as that DO
    crop up, especially when they're working hard. Can't get away with deferred maintenance.

Upside to the older truck? That no-snow month of December - where there were no $$$ coming in - well there were no truck payment $$$ going out either!

All told, for my first real "snow event" I feel it went quite well. Certainly wouldn't call it "easy money", but I won't mind going out plowing again - just not today!