1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

uneven pavement?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Oct 30, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

One of my accounts has pavement that is good shape, but it is VERY wavy, with depressions. I have to keep the lift chain with lots of slack so that when I plow the snow out of one area to the snow storage area I don't dump all the snow. It probably goes down 4-5" within 2-3 feet. With the chain in "normal" length the plow just hangs off the edge (if you can visualize that). That is not so much of an issue as the skimming of the high spots.

It wasn't a thought of mine until I started plowing. (Remember I am very new at this). The straight edge of the blade acts as a level and only scrapes the high spots, and fill in the low spots.

Would a ureathane edge help with this? Don't even want to try rubber. What should a u-edge cost for a 8.5' blade?

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

What kind of plow do you have? Is the plow in float while you are plowing?

3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Used both of my plows: meyer and wester 8.5s in float mode. After I plow it looks like someone took a straight edge (plow) to lot to even out. The lot was paved within the last few years. It wasn't prepped very well.

When I did the lot with a 5' blade on my skid steer (shorter blade with lots of down pressure) I got better results. With such a long straight edge of the plows I can get a good scrape. The western cutting edge is brand new and the meyer only shows wear on the outer 6" on both ends. Usually what happens is the outer edges of the blade find high spots and a leave a skim coat of snow about 2' wide in the center.

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

What happens if you're blade is on an angle and you approach the low spot at a different angle with the leading edge of the plow - not ht ecenter of the blade? Will the plow ride down in the depression or does the back side of the plow still hold it up? Not knowing what your drepression looks like....

If your customers lot is in rough shape - notify them of the problem and let them know you'll do what you can, but that they should not expect bare pavement unless it's de-iced enough to melt what is there.
  5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I don't think it's going to mater if it's ureathane or steel with that much depression, in that short of a span.:( I take that you tried plowing on different angles & directions with no better results.

From what I've seen the ureathane is semi-ridged but it's not going to flex 4"or 5" in depth in a 2' to 3' span. :(