1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Uneven front end height

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rdaily104, Jan 22, 2008.

1. rdaily104

rdaily104 Member
    from Indiana

I have noticed my steering wheel was off center just a little. I was reading about the torsion bars and thought maybe some idiot adjusted them prior to me buying my truck and screwed it up. Well, I noticed the left side was 3/8 of an inch higher than the right side of the truck. Would that mess up my steering or something else I need to do? If it is the torsion bars, were is the adjustment bolt? I have looked and can not find it... I am no mechanic and need help!!!!
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The torsion bar screws are located under the doors right before you get to the bed on either side. When you look at the back of your cab if it is a reg cab then you will see two bolts pointing down that have the torsion bar connected to them that runs to your front axle.I dont know if those are point of your problem, but that is where they are.
  3. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Most are a lil uneven from the factory. And that would not cause your wheel being off. Not unless they were severely different heights difference. Check further. Probably either simple alignment or very possibly that the idler arm is bad.
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

This article is full of photos and how to's. It includes replacing the t-bar keys, whihc you don't need to worry about...the key thing is it identifies where the adjusters are and how to properly adjust them. FYI, one full turn of the adjustment bolt is about a quarter inch of lift ion that corner.

Mkae sure to get a lifetime alignment too...that's probably why your wheel is off a bit.
  5. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

The thing that worries me about these wild suspension lifts is that in full compression the T-Bars may be pushed beyond their elastic limits. When you jack the TBAR you move the A-ARM farther away from the bump stop. This translate to more twisting of the T-Bar when the suspension compresses.
  6. rdaily104

rdaily104 Member
    from Indiana

I appreciate it guys, I don't want to go and mess with the torsion bars. I am happy with the height of the truck. I just wasn't sure about the uneven front end. Thanks and I will probably have to get the front end aligned.
  7. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

They do come a little higher on the left to account for a full tank of fuel. Fill it up and measure it. If you're anything like my wife, it's probably about to run out right now.:dizzy:
  8. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

for the fuel and also to account for our fat as@#s :eek: JK but that is part of it too.