1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Underwind winch strap?

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by Jstic, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Jstic

Jstic Junior Member
    from CT

I've seen quite a few photos on this site and others that show the winch strap overwound which is apparently wrong. See attached photo of my winch instructions, it says winch should be underwound and overwinding could cause damage. I have yet to come across a photo of anyone's installed snowbear with the winch underwound like the instructions.

Attached Files:

2. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Thank you for the heads up; I was unaware of this.
  3. Jstic

Jstic Junior Member
    from CT

I checked on the websites of several other winch manufacturers and all of them give a similar warning that the strap, chain or rope must be underwound to prevent damage and for proper operation. From a mechanical perspective, I can't really imagine why, it might have something to do with the way the winch is geared, but that is just a guess.
  4. cascade powder

cascade powder Junior Member

I noticed that in the winch manual as well. If you look at the snowbear plow manual it tells you to only wind it over the top...page 8.