1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

undertailgate Vs. replacement tailgate spreaders??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tgumby4, Feb 18, 2007.

1. tgumby4

tgumby4 Junior Member

I currently run a Western V-box spreader in my F450 dump truck. I am not satisfied with the rear viewing area and high maintenance issues involved with it, not to mention the inability to use my truck for anything else all winter. I am looking at replacing it with a tailgate replacement spreader or a under tailgate model. My question is what is the major advantages of each? Do they both spread material equally? I know under tailgate spreaders claim you can still use the dump bed without interference, is this reality? What is the time involved to remove and install these spreaders? How is your rear ground clearance effected by these spreaders? My truck does not have central hydraulics so I will more than likely go with an electric. If they are equal in quality, if not central hydraulics may be in my future.

2. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

Tailgate spreaders

I also use a Western Ice-Breaker V-Hopper but I really like mine.I have a Honda 11 hp and no problems in 3 years.The only draw back is I cannot use the truck for anything else.Anyway stay away from TRUCK CRAFT electric under tailgate spreaders.A friend of mine purchased one and during the last storm on 2/14 the controller caught fire and the motor over the spreader burned up.

Glenn.

3. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Try a replacement Karrier controller. Much smaller too! Ask me how!

4. Strictly Snow

Strictly Snow Senior Member
    from Oxford

I have the replacement tailgate hydro from Henderson. The advantages to the replacement vs the under tailgate is the spinner sits higher(provides better coverage) the auger is easier to clear as well as there is an secondary breaker auger above the drive auger. It is a dump thru style(operates just like a normal dump tailgate). Disadvantage..................um can think of any oh wait slightly heaver

5. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Who sells Henderson in the Detroit area??
    Sounds like a good product.