1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

undertailgate spreaders or harder dump body spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow, Apr 10, 2000.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

what are the pros and cons on the undertailgate spreader and harder dump body spreaders? The undertailgate spreader can be picked up for around $2000, while the harder costs around $5000(i think). With the harder you only have to raise the dump body when getting rid of excess material. With the undertailgate spreader, you have to keep it raised a lot. But with a dump body vibrator, it reduces the time you have to keep the dump body raised. Overall, which would be a better investment?<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com<br>&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;<br>

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

With the tailgate spreader you can raise the bgody and shuck material back, then lower the body and spread for quite a ways. I have one, didn't use it this eyar 'cuz the new truck wasn't set up for it.<p>Unless you are in areas with lots of low limbs or really tippy roads there should be no problem with traveling with the body up. Around here the town and state trucks almost all run tailgate spreaders. The other thing that is getting popular with the towns is system where the bottom of the dump body tips up sideways and feeds onto a spinner ahead of the left duals<p>Keep in mind that the tailgate will require a central hydraulic system to run it. Parts alone for the system will run you $1800 or so, but once it installed it's about a trouble free as it gets.<p>I'm not familiar with the Harder spreaders but I'm happy with the tailgate spreader. I used a Tarco hopper unit in the dumptruck this winter because I didn't get to install the hydraulic system before winter. The Tarco is sold already and I'll have my tailgate spreader back on for next winter. <p>Personally, I'd go with the tailgate spreader any day

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I looked at a tailgate and a replacement tailgate spreader for my F 650. I went with a v-box because that truck does mostly roads. Add the weight of ice, to trees and the body is going to hit something.<p>I am thinking about a replacement tailgate spreader for the two new 350s i will be ordering soon. The only thing i keep thinking about, is do i want hydrolic controlls running through my truck cab ( they are much bigger than plow controlls). I don't really need anymore v-boxes as of yet. Only if the price is right on these units the extra sanding ability is a good thing to have.<p>You can even get a replacement tailgate sander for an insert body now. They are all electric, ah my new residental plow truck? for those condos. F 350 v-plow, insert body with spreader, good visablity, good turing, sounds like a good way to plow condos.<p>Geoff

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Geoff, somewhere I saw a sander control that is electric over hydraulic. The part inside the cab is nothing but an on/off switch and two rheostats that control spinner and auger speeds. I think it was at the website for Howard Fairfield (I think that first name is right, I know the last one is). They have a branch somewhere in Maine as well as one in NH (I think) and one in Morrisville, Vermont. I'm going with the in-cab hydraulic controls when I set the system up on my 5500, I already have two sander controls and I'm too cheap to spring for another one.<p>One thing that has worked well for me in the past with central hydraulic systems. I use the belt driven, electrically clutched pump for that. I put an 2-speed axle switch on the shifter and wire it in as a second switch to energize the pump clutch. That way if I'm working where I have a lot of shifting and maneuvering I can start or stop the spreader by flicking the switch on the shifter instead of reaching for yet another lever. As a bonus it really messes with folks minds when they see a 2-speed switch on the shifter in an F-350. :)

5. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

we use the Harder spreader system and have found them to be much safer and easier to use.There are several advantages to the Harder,1st the most obvious is you dont travel down the road with your dump body in the air which can hit objects.2 the spinner flips out of the way when traveling so you dont have to worry about when that kid whos racing around in the snow slams into the back of your truck,your sander still works and his car is a mess.3 you can leave the whole assembly in the truck and still open the tailgate to deliver materials,ie sand,salt,or other items suitable for conveyer.Or you can remove the whole unit in a matter of minutes. The Harder comes in 3 sizes for a 10 wheel dump,10ft dump,and a 1ton dump body.Safety was the selling point for us,speed bumps can really make a tailgate spreader type truck sway badly when the body is in the air<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

John, I was wondering if that was a Harder spreader in your truck. I like that setup next best to my tailgate spreader. If I was in the market for another one I think that's the way I'd go too. If I had unlimited access to a side dump to look at as I went along I'd try building one myself. I think that is about as good as it gets. That, or one of the Henderson bodies which have a conveyor bottom that feeds either a front/left mounted spinner or one in the center rear with the ability to use either anytime you choose.

7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Yeah that red dump you saw at my place had the Harder spreader in it and we have been very happy with it but i sold the truck and spreader about 3 weeks ago and i will buy another when we go for another truck.Sounds like you had a hell of a time last storm,i admire your dedication for sticking with it alot of guys would have given up -great job<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

8. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

John, I've found that there is no way to give up in this line of work. Grit your teeth, get another coffee and keep going. Next year I want to have three pickups and one big truck on the road. At least then it will be easier to keep up, IF I can find decent drivers