1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Undertailgate spreader on a wood deck rackbody

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flipper, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Anyone ever run an Undertailgate on a wood deck dumping rackbody 1 ton truck? I can get ahold of a spreader for pretty cheap and I know I could mount it to the bed. Just wondering if I would have any other issues? We stockpile our own material so it would not have to sit loaded all the time I would think a little material might stick to the deck but hauling much more material and not having to worry about a big V-box would be nice. I thought I would make some low (12"-16") sides for it and I should be able to haul 2+ yards easy

Anything I am not thinking of?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why don't you make a steel pan to lay on the bed, with the sides attached?

3. keitha

keitha Senior Member

Not really any different than a dump. Maybe plywood or poly sheet the deck to improve flow.
    Will probably need a tailgate to keep sander from running over.
    What are you using to power the sander?
    Good luck

4. Flipper

from CT

The truck has central hydros. Its an OBS Ford with the 7.3

I have an idea already for a "tailgate" mounting plate that would help support the spreader and prevent spill over.

5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

The poly sheet is a good idea, would help the sticking issue, protect the wood deck & be maintenance free. I would install a vibrator to get the material to flow better though.

6. Flipper

from CT

Anyone have a source for a piece of poly 8x8?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you could tolerate a seam, you can get the commercial bathroom sheeting stuff at Home Depot. I think it's actually a fiberglass product. Tougher than nails.

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Modern Plastics in Bridgeport may have what you need, or try a lumber yard for sheets of 1/2" Azek.

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Try the large truck places they use a plastic for lining dump bodies to keep asphalt from sticking. You can get a bunch of different thinknesses, colors & different widths, ussally sold by the foot (like carpet @ lowes).

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Neat, never seen or heard of that around here. Must be some tough plastic, fresh hot top is almost 500 degrees.

11. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member