1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

undertailgate salter HELP

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by powerjoke, Oct 6, 2007.

1. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i need a undertailgate salter i am looking at the buyers ss has any body had much luck or experiance with tailgate spreader i have hyd on the truck, i looked at the downeaster but they are too high and i have a 96" bed on a gmc 5500 4x4

What is the best price, i found them at angelos-supplies for $1799

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Have used the buyers units in the past with good sucess. Prefer the gear box drive to the direct though.

Jerre

3. powerjoke

thaks jerre

Does any one know who has the best price on one

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

You'll be hard pressed to beat the price you found for a new one.

J

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take Jerre's advice about the gear drive unit.

6. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

One word for under tailgate spreader
    FLINK.
    Had one once miss it sooooo much.
    They are alot nicer than v boxes.

7. powerjoke

Thanks guy keep'em coming

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I'll second the flink vote as that is the only one we use.

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Swenson or a flink

10. powerjoke

what's a good price on a flink

11. LON

LON Senior Member

Having built few of the 5500 GM's I think you should look at something like the Henderson RTS (Replacement Tailgate Spreader). This unit will bring the spinner motor up 11" higher than an undertailgate. Seen alot of the smaller trucks drag the spinner motor:realmad:
    I'll post some pics from the shop tomorrow.
    Lon

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

13. powerjoke

I have another Q' : How bad does the engine RPM affect the flow and spread

LON:Thanks i would like to see the pic's
    i don't think that spinner heigth would be a prob our pow truck is a 4X4 and it sets a little taller than our 4X2 the floor of the bed sets....i am going to guess 60" off the ground, in your experiance vvould you think that the RTS setting higher is going to not be as controlable on application? The only reason i ask is that when you buy a v-box they have a short spinner chute and a long spinner chute

CET:Do you know who is a good distributer for the bonnell?
    Thanks for the help

14. powerjoke

I just got off the phne with Angelos-Supply and they quoted the price of $1475 for a new undertailgate and $2099 for stainless but he didn't know if that was direct or gearbox he thought gearbox was an extra $299 so my Q' is would you spend the extra money for the gearbox and does that mean you don't have to have the $200 flow control/mixer valve, if not i plan on just putting a $10flow regulator in line,

My next Q' is when you raise the bed to get the salt to run to the back does the spinner/fan stay level (like on a hinge)?

As i said i have little(NONE) experiance with a RTS

ANY HELP PLEASE

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The spinner will stay level as you raise the box. Do you have power down or gravity down? If you go to Bonnell's used stuff, some of it is brand new and I think they will sell direct to you. They sold us a 10' stainless V box 4 or 5 years ago. I Rpm's will effect the flow. If you take your foot right off the gas then it will only spread 8' max.

16. powerjoke

CET Thanks for the help i am ging to call them tomorrow

17. powerjoke

i thought i'd bump this for NEWLOOKLANDSCP since he was too lazy to do a search :rolleyes: and impatientLOL

18. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

lol thanks .... anyway i dont have central hyraulics and dont think i want to put them on since it is only an F350. So I wont even be able to load that much weight in the truck anyways so Im assuming Id be ok with electric dump, electric undertailgate spreader. As for the hydo buyers undertailgate my buddy has one ... no problems at all.

19. powerjoke

oh' i am sorry i misunderstood and thought you had a litle dump already......in you'r thread you said that the downeaster was $5400? does that include the insert and spreader?

20. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

O man this is getting confusing lol. The truck I have is an F350 4x4 8.5' Gallion Dump Body with a Western 8.5' Pro. So I'm looking into the electric under tailgate (or tailgate replacement) spreaders or now I might take my buddies 92" electric Salt Dogg from him over the 6' or 8' buyers SS Vbox (gas engines are a pain in the a**). What do you like he can get for it, they are going new $3500.00 here and I think he paid about the same (the salt dogg that is). Go it in February of last year and has everything (tarp, screen, vibrator, etc.) Here is a pic of my new truck, with the other companies name on it. I havent taken pictures with my logo on it yet. but you get the picture.

HPIM0450.jpg

HPIM0447.jpg