1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Underpaid?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Snotech, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Snotech

Snotech Junior Member

After reading many posts I thought this would be a good place to post this question.
    What is a RELIABLE driver / Mr Fix just about everything that breaks or gives us problems in our fleet pre, during & post storms worth ????( I am 45) Althought I am considered "part-time" because of my fulltime job, my availibility for winter storm snow management is about 80%. I work 2 days on and have 2 off...plus I will work until 12 midnight during work days. On my days off I am in the heat-less/door-less shop prepairing , repairing or doing a little preventative maintenance...until I freeze.
    During the BLIZZARD of 05', we had 4 trucks out plowing. I was convienently off that weekend and was out for 29 hours. During that time I had to swap trucks at one point to figure out how to unfreeze our Fisher "EZ-Mount" plow in a parking lot in single digit temperatures(which I successfully did within an hr.) This is only one example of many that have been thrown on my plate.
    I know I'm worth 3 or 4 times more than my low teens hourly rate (with NO premium for allnight plowing ) but can someone give me some perspective on what someone like myself is worth?

2. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Worth your weight in gold.....if you say as you are. I have people that dont have winter jobs fulltime & I still get excuses when its time to plow. Although they do a great job when their working, sometimes getting them going is a real chore.

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Are there end of the season bonuses? That can ussualy be a deccent way to reward guys that have done a good job. It also depnds on the local economy......dont know exactly were in NY you are and what the local market will bear. I will say though it does sound like you are underpaid if you are how you say you are. Like was mentioned.....trying to get guys to even show up can be a chore. Another thing to be considered is maybe other perks your employer can/will/does provide. Allowing you to do work on your own stuff in the shop(well since its unheated that might suck) buying meals, saying, hey youve been at it for awhile come in and have a sandwitch take a nap for a couple hours(and keep you on the clock), saying hey I dont do residential-here is a few call ins, dont rape em on price and dont drive through thier garage door and your not working for me this is your own deal, ect. and I think you get the picture.

4. Snotech

Snotech Junior Member

In some type of justification, I do have access to any of the equipment at almost anytime. I do plan on borrowing the small backhoe to do some drainage work at my house. The "fringe" benefits come in handy.

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

ones worth

"I am in the heat-less/door-less shop"

I take it there is not much work in your area for a contractor to not have a heated shop that is well lit to work in. That is non productive. Doors and even a construction type propane heater would allow you to do your job so much better. The equipment could be maintained better and faster. I would want top wage for that area and inclement weather pay too.

I hope you can find someone who wants to treat his men better.

Dave