1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Underhood wiring on '95 Chev

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by D2 Cat, Oct 23, 2010.

1. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

Anyone have a picture of the harness layout for a '95 Chev?

Where do you go thru the firewall, and how much wire is inside to where the controller connects? Where do you leave that connection? How much wire do you leave at the grill? I don't have a mount plate as the factory shows.

I just looked at the harness and it seems to be Way Too long. I'm just wondering where others mounted the relay, etc. Thanks.

2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

You can download the manual for your plow at www.hiniker.com. The wiring harness is universal (except for the headlight adapters, which are vehicle specific). Most likely you will have to drill a hole a hole through your fire wall down near the drivers side foot area. Take your time and inspect both sides before you drill to make sure you aren't going through wires. You can make it neat by drilling oversize and using a rubber grommet. The manual says 1 1/8" hole. But if using a grommet drill accordingly. You can silicone in after all is done.

You can pull as much wire inside the cab as you have available to pull after laying out neatly underhood. The pigtail where the controller plugs in sits on the carpet just below the ashtray on my '89.

Here is the diagram from the straight blade manual. Your truck is most likely laid out opposite with the battery on the left. You will want to mount the heavy relay near the battery since the heavier gauge wire isn't real long.

To get from the battery to the drivers side firewall I recessed mine behind the grill. You don't have to use the mount plate. Just run through the grill and leave hang or use a zip strip. I don't use the rubber caps when unconnected because they hold water.

sblade.JPG

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  3. D2 Cat

D2 Cat Junior Member

Thanks for your help. The details help me get a better picture of how it should go.

How much wire do you have curled up under your dash?

My truck is a diesel, so it has a battery on each side. It probably only matters which battery to attach to for looks and convenience sake?

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Your welcome. I don't have much wire curled up since my battery was on the passenger side. I might have made a loop near the drivers fender if I had too much and secured with plastic ties. I only have enough pulled inside to get to the center hump carpet (after running under the dash). Remember your controller will have a bunch more cable.

The manual is a little vague. Yes, since you have 2 batteries on both sides you just as well go with the closer one (driver's). In this case you are correct - you will have a bunch of extra cable. Since the harness is universal it is meant to fit a wide variety of of vehicles, hence the length. The extra length is easily solved by just forming a loop or 2 and secure on the fender well - rather than pull it into the cab. It's kinda up to you on how much lead you want into the cab.

Also I would advise replacing the oem battery cable lugs with the accessory type that come with a bolt for the extra snow plow wiring. Like photo. Available at most auto parts stores.

batt_ext.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. scooterdayton

scooterdayton Junior Member

dont ever roll up wire under dash, likely to get wrapped around steering shaft and then youll have a mess.
    trim excess off or leave it roll up somewhere under hood.
    relays and solenoid, ive bolted them to the shroud or wherever you can find room
    any extra lighting and hookup wire i leave in front of radiator behind the grill.
    make sure you grommet your hole thru firewall

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010