1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Underhood pump on 1979 dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Randy209, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Randy209

Randy209 Junior Member

Anyone know where i can buy a new pulley for a meyer underhood pump?.. I have a 1979 dodge that came factory with this system. This morning out plowing and the pully split in half. This pulley also runs the Alt... So i am in need of a pulley bad.. Got more snow coming in tonight and tomorrow and need one...lol

2. Ozark Hillbilly

Ozark Hillbilly Member
    from Misery

Have you checked to make sure the pulley is really a Meyer specific part? Does it fit on the shaft with splines, key, or flats?

Is it something that you could just match up at a local Grainger supply or other local supply house that carries power transmission components? Got any local hydraulic repair shops or machine shops that do a lot of hydraulic repair that may have something laying around that would work? As long as the diameter is close the rpm should be okay even if it is not an exact match. Just make sure the pulley is for the same width belt. If the diameter is slightly different then you may also need a slightly longer or shorter belt to make up the difference. The belts come in 1 inch increments so this is not a problem

And worst case, if it is a v-belt pulley and broke into front and rear halves, maybe you could just weld the halves back together and keep using it until you get a new one. Keep in mind that a v-belt rides on the sides of the pulley and not the bottom of the groove so as long as you grind the weld to keep it from sticking up too far it should be okay. If the pulley somehow broke in some other direction then this will obviously not be an option.

3. Randy209

Randy209 Junior Member

I was told it was a Meyers part.. It has a key on the shaft.. Thanks for the advise i will have to go check see if i can find something !!!

4. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

You'd be surprised what a lot of NAPA's have kicking around for belts and pulleys.........at least aroud here.

5. Randy209

Randy209 Junior Member

It has a odd ball size inside where shaft goes... Was just at tractor supply and they had nothing... I got a 3/4 in center and it is to big.. 5/8 is to small... This is begining to be a headache...lol

6. Ozark Hillbilly

Ozark Hillbilly Member
    from Misery

Sounds like you must have come down with a case of metric-itis.:eek:

When I was in grade school they were always making announcements about how we were converting to metrics. That was a long time ago and here we are still having to buy two complete sets of tools and all the other hassle of having to deal with the two systems.:realmad:

7. Randy209

Randy209 Junior Member

yea lets stick to the good old american sizes !!!!