1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

underhood Hydraulics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by baylee430, Jan 8, 2004.

1. baylee430

baylee430 Junior Member

I just installed a older fisher snow plow with underhood Hydraulics and would like to know what kind of oil to use and what is the fill level. it now has clear fluid in it. I live in michigan and will be doing my driveway and several others. Any information would be great. Thanks

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Use hydraulic oil for plows or dextron three Auto trans fluid. you might want to drain what's in there as not to mix two different brands. You should have a dipstick on the resevoir. Fill to about one inch and a half from the top of your resevoir. Do not overfill.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  3. Woodman

Woodman PlowSite.com Veteran

ATF works just fine. With the pump right next to the engine it the fluid actually gets fairly warm. Less expensive than the low temp hydraulic stuff too.

Tom

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Fisher hyd fluid

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

if you must use atf use chrystler ATF+3 it has a high pressure anti-foaming addative added to it, my first choice would be artic blue plow oil and second would be regular powersteering fluid and third atf. a little prevention (plow oil with de-icer) is worth alot more in the long run then the fustrations that atf can cause in a plow pump:cool:

6. Woodman

Woodman PlowSite.com Veteran

Not trying to pick a fight, but the owners manual says ATF is fine for the belt driven hydraulics. Link to the manual on the fisher is listed below (look under maintenance tips on page 16).

If using low temp hydraulic fluid makes you feel better, that's OK its just not necessary. Regarding ATF+3 that's an interesting point, although I can't ever remember any foaming with Dextron III with my setup.

http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/6209_000392.pdf

Tom