1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by milwaukeevtwin, Nov 14, 2010.

1. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

Does anybody know of a chemical that can be applied to clean the underneath of truck to get the undercoating to stick better? Light rust or dirt needs to be cleaned and have a good bonding? Any help would be great. Thanks, Ron
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just Fluid Film it instead
  3. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

I do not want to seal in rust. I want to get rid of it undercoat it then fluid film
  4. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

i think what hydro was saying use only fluid film. under coating is ok but the problem is u have to know what ur doing or u will plug the drain holes in the frame and body of ur truck. in best case u will have water trapped in ur body and frame and u will have rust inside out. worst case u will start having water leak into the passenger compartment. water can always get in side the body and frame as ur doors and cowl are designed to drain through the body to the ground via those drainage holes.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film :nod:
  6. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

x2 Fluid Film
  7. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

x3 Fluid Film :waving:
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

FF will NOT seal in the rust
  9. LON

LON Senior Member

I use Fluid Film as well as boiled linseed oil when asked to undercoat vehicles at my shop.
  10. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

use a "wax and grease remover" as part of the prep stage, then it should stick better. don't listen completely to the FF mafia -undercoating it is not the worst idea...you can always put FF on later if you want...
  11. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

dont think any one said undercoating is the worst idea... its just not the best idea. i am a body man and it can be great for some applications and really damaging. if u just go and blast the bottom of ur truck with undercoating it will be a pain in the arse. in my experience the safest bet for a diy guy is ff.