1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Undercoating Process

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by eastcoastjava, Jan 8, 2013.

1. eastcoastjava

eastcoastjava Senior Member
    from Boston

Just bought a used sierra 2500HD the whole thing is pretty clean except for a few spots here and there that show some minor rust.

First Question- Should i take a wire brush to those rusty areas then spray with FF or can i apply FF to it without scraping?

Second Question- I wont be salting with this truck but after each storm i will be washing the underside of the truck with a weak stream of water, or should i not even bother to hit an area that has been FF'ed?

Third Question-When I undercoat should i avoid certain areas on the truck such as exhaust system, and near the engine block, or is it ok to spray those areas?

Final Question- When I apply FF how long will it last, days, weeks, months? I will be doing it with either the undercoating kit or spray cans if it matters?

Thanks guys, and Dano if you see this post your stuff is wicked pissa.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm interested in the answers to these questons as well. I can tell you that it should last for 4-6 months in winter depending on your road conditions/driving habits.(I've been told) I don't think you have to avoid any areas but I'm new to the product.

3. bob1008

bob1008 Junior Member
    from ma

Just bought a used sierra 2500HD the whole thing is pretty clean except for a few spots here and there that show some minor rust.

First Question- Should i take a wire brush to those rusty areas then spray with FF or can i apply FF to it without scraping?
    If is is only a surface rust, you can just apply Fluid Film right over the rust. Fluid Film will stop rust on contact. Any rust bubbles or flaking rust needs to be removed. Otherwise Fluid Film will penetrate these areas and when the rust exfoliates (falls off) you will be left with bare untreated metal.

Second Question- I wont be salting with this truck but after each storm i will be washing the underside of the truck with a weak stream of water, or should i not even bother to hit an area that has been FF'ed?
    A light rinse is fine. Fluid Film is very thick and will not wash off easily.

Third Question-When I undercoat should i avoid certain areas on the truck such as exhaust system, and near the engine block, or is it ok to spray those areas?
    Fluid Film will just burn off when applied to the very hot areas.

Final Question- When I apply FF how long will it last, days, weeks, months? I will be doing it with either the undercoating kit or spray cans if it matters?
    Using the "bulk" (gallons or pails) Fluid Film would be a better choice. The bulk product applies at a much thicker viscosity. One annual application should get you through the season.

4. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I just coated the underside of my new truck today, I'm excited to see how long it lasts- hopefully til spring!

5. eastcoastjava

eastcoastjava Senior Member
    from Boston

Found a gallon selling for 40 bucks on theruststore.com anyone buy from here before, because i don't feel like driving to the deere dealership to pick up a gallon for 50 bucks

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

What are your thoughts on the undercarriage wash used in truck stop washes? I don't think that is very high pressure. I recently bought a new truck and as we all do want to keep it as rust free as possible, so I just ordered a FF kit and will apply it next week. Wondering if I should continue to have the undercarriage done at the truck stop or not.

I've attached a brochure of what they have at the truck stop.

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I use Salt-Away and it works very well. It says that it doesn't leave streaks or residue, so I just spray everything with that and let it drip dry. Touch up as needed with FF.

8. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

I`m addicted to the hand car wash (preasure wash) in the winter months. I have one down the road a few miles. If roads are clear enough for me to make it home without trashing the wash job, I will go everynight. Will I be washing off the ff in the wheel wells and leaf spring areas or will it hang in there?