1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

undercoated the truck

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by SKYNYRD, Dec 7, 2010.

1. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

aint the easiest thing to do or photograph without a lift but here ya go. this was the second time the ford has been coated. first was last jan when we got it. these were taken back on 11/14. i started painting the drivers side of the frame back in the summer but never got a chance to finish.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

more......

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

last batch (for now) and 2 bonus pics =)

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

7. Silverado10923

Silverado10923 Member

Did my new truck the same way, on my back! I should have done my old 2002 Silverado, maybe i would still have it.

8. joyofFluidFilm

joyofFluidFilm Senior Member

Omg. General, nice pics!!!:salute:

9. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

just got my 2 gallon undercoating kit in the mail today, should i crimp the end of the tip, it seems big let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks and the trucks look great

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

if you have the luxery of a nice warm garage then i would def crimp the tip a lil bit at a time til you're satisfied with the way it shoots. if you have to be outside then you may want to leave it uncrimped for now. it will shoot too much too fast uncrimped but it wont take long for the cold air to thicken the ff in the cup to the point it wont want to shoot so the bigger openning may become beneficial. i made custom tips for my gun and a lil while in the cold makes it almost impossible to shoot out the small openning. have to keep shaking the gun as if it were a paint gun with a heavy metallic paint inside lol. of course at the same time i'm 175-200' away from the compressor which doesn't help things. best of luck to you

[​IMG]

11. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

I love fluid film. But this is one instance where I don'y use it. I've found good old fashioned rubberized undercoating works better and lasts MUCH longer.

12. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

to each their own. the major problem i have with any form of rubberized undercoating is once even a pinhole is made in it, the moisture ges behind it and is trapped. trapped moisture rots frames faster than they would rot with nothing protecting them at all. can not tell you how many instances of that my father has seen in his 30+ years doing autobody. also can not tell you how many instances like that good friends at a local salvage yard have seen because of that. no rubberized crap for me. i'll stick with my once a year ff application

13. blackjack219

blackjack219 Member

hey skynard thanks for the advice i'll let you know how it works out this week

14. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

no problem :waving:

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I will add.....

FF can be applied to the frame/body in almost any condition, even damp metal. It will soak through rust, dirt, mud, and of course moisture.

For traditional undercoating to be most effective, the surface needs to be very clean. And any moisture present will be trapped by the undercoating.

While the FF needs to be freshened every year or so, it's not expensive and not too mulch work.

16. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Couldn't have said it better myself. :salute:

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Also FF will run behind, under and between things, something undercoat will not do.

18. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Very good points. I should've been more specific. It's easy to undercoat a new vehicle. But just like 2COR517 said, Ifthere's already rust or moisture there it has to be removed first. I use a pneumatic wire wheel to clean off existing rust first before undercoating. Very informative thread gentleman :salute:

19. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

You could actually apply over existing rust, as long as it is not loose or flaky. It gives the product something to really bite into.

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

ok, here's a question for the experienced- how well does FF apply in low temps? In other words, you said it thickened as you were applying do to cold- how cold was it when you did it? I have no access to a heated space to apply and it's going to be below freezing for the forseeable future...have I missed the opportunity until we get back into the "warmer" weather?