1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Undercoat or Fluid Film?

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by Marauder92V, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Marauder92V

Marauder92V Junior Member

Hi Folks. New to forum. Been a long time plow guy having grown up in WNY and seeing my fair share of snow and doing my fair share of snow plowing. I have used Fluid Film on snow plow blades so I have some familiarity with it.

In a few days I am going to pick up a new truck. In the past, I have typically had the truck sprayed with an undercoat (Ziebart, Line-X, Rhino, etc.). I know people have used Fluid Film to undercoat their vehicles and was curious how well this worked for the people who have done it.

I understand it is not a "forever" coating but curious how long it held up for and the challenges of doing it yourself (any recommendations on sprayers, online retailers would be appreciated). Most, if not all of the truck manufacturers are offering some sort of factory warranty for rust issues. That said, I have seen a number of truck undersides that have not been undercoated and the rust comes quickly.

Your comments would be appreciated.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fluid film, It covers better, gets into and behind where undercoating never will.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Another vote for Fluid Film. Twice a year if you like.

4. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Can you Define "undercoating" for the readers please......

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

ff hands down, i do a once a year application then touch up spots as needed. the problem with any kind of typical undercoating is once you get even a pinhole in it that allows moisture to pentrate and get trapped. it wont dry out and will rot the metal even faster. seen way too many instances of this in the past. aa standard undercoating gun is the best method to apply bulk fluid film. airless sprayers like wagner will also work with the correct tip size but i am unsure what that is. you can get a package deal on the gun and ff from http://kellsportproducts.com/

6. Marauder92V

Marauder92V Junior Member

Thanks for the replies and the links. What is the difference between FF Liquid A and FF Liquid AR? It looks like the AR may be a paintable gel, correct?

7. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

You don't want to head into the AR territory. That is a marine coating designed for ballast tanks. Our regular bulk product is the product to use for undercoating.

8. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

you're very welcome:waving: