1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

undercarrage rust

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by smokey, Oct 21, 2003.

1. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

Does anyone know of some good products to treat rust under a f-150 (I.E. frame rail ,radius arms etc.) I don't want to have to put too much time into it,so something you could put on an already rusted surface would be good. any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

It's a rust converter, but its expensive.
  3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

3m undercoat, though you need a special gun and compresed air.
  4. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I second POR 15 awesome product.

5. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I've been dealing with this issue for years and you can try por15 and see how it works. personally I've found sandblasting and fresh primer and paint the only way to go. If you por 15 you need to clean the surface of all loose rust and grease, clean is the key. Good luck.pumpkin:
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

POR 15

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

just bought a 2000 excursion4x4 v10

the undercarriage was ugly
    bought a case of 3m undercoated everything

i have a lift so it made it alittle easier

8. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

What kind of special gun is required for the 3M stuff? I will probably undercoat my Dodge before winter (better get going!). How much do you think it would take to cover the frame, and axles in POR 15 or the 3M stuff?
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

The POR 15 is expensive,but is needed to eliminate the rust.I think a gallon is like $70.00,but it should do the whole truck.You can then paint it chassis black,or undercoat it.

If you don't stop the rust,it will keep rusting under whatever you put on,and it will eventually peel off.
  10. RacerX

RacerX Junior Member

how is the POR 15 applied and where do you get it ?

11. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I like rustbullet better than por 15....

Less prep and UV protected from the start.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just scrape off the loose rust,and brush it on.

Try www.por15.com
  13. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Thanks for the info. You may have converted me!

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

What if you want to paint your undercarriage like Pelican would you have to sand blast it down to bar metal? The best thing would probably be to rino it.But if you want to just do a quick clean up you would have to get all that was or gunk that the factory puts so sparingly on their to prevent the rust to make the new paint or rust preventer on .
  15. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Speaking from experience...

To sandblast would at LEAST require taking the bed of the truck off. SAND gets in everywhere and will desroy anything mechanical.

To properly do a blast and repaint requires dissassembly of the vehicle. Figure on at least 6months-year for that job (if you are working evenings)

There are other methods of blasting that will not hurt mechanical parts, ie soda blasting, plastic beads. These mediums are generally not hard enough to strip off under coating or anything soft and they will not remove anything but surface rust.

If you are looking at restoring a vehicle, sandblasting might be the way.....

If you are looking at preserving you work truck/daily driver... I think POR 15 or my new favorite Rust Bullet might be a better idea.

I have painted some small parts with rust bullet, but plan on doing the complete undercarriage of my 77 bronco with it next week. I will steam clean, then let the truck sit for a day or two in the heated garage to dry out. I will then put it up on a lift to spray it.