1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Underbody Rust

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PAPlow, Jan 6, 2005.

1. PAPlow

PAPlow Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about the corrosion and rust on the underbody of my 97 Fors F250? I plan on keeping the truck for awhile and I don't want it to get worse.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Pressure wash real good. Knock any big chunks/scaling off and get some of that "Rust Converter" stuff and spray it on with a pump sprayer. This will stop it . Then you could paint it or undercoat it.

3. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I wire brush my underside and use the hammerite rust converter paint from local ace hardware, 6 bucks a pop for the can. And just for the extra mile i coat that with roll on bedliner.

4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I steam clean my 96' every year and then give it a coat of gloss black. I have been doing this for about 6 years and it still looks like new with no sign of rust.

5. smiti105

smiti105 Member

If you are working with that roll on bed liner watch not to get any on your hands. It is a project in itself trying to get it off because nothing works, not ever brake cleaner. I learned my lesson the hard way.

6. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I've heard good things about POR 15. I just got there catalog and plan on trying it on my 1987 F350. You can check them out at www.por15.com.

7. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Hey smiti105 did you try brake fluid to get it off.
    Good old DOT3 strips paint off just about everything.
    Works great when you get expanding foam on your hands to.

Hey Butler..... have you seen this thread?
    http://plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=21755
    I know you got one of these snowex spreaders.
    You got a manual for him?

8. PAPlow

PAPlow Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Now I just nned to figure out a way to get the truck up enough so I can work underneath it effectively without a lift.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Drive it up on ramps in the front, and jackstands on the back axle.

Then put a lot of cardboard down and you should have enough room to almost sit down under the truck and work.

10. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Mebes, know this is late but i did not try brake fluid, will try it next time. Thanks.

11. PLANET

PLANET Member

Old school, Diesel/used motor oil sprayed is what we use.Works great.

12. saleen49

saleen49 Junior Member

Hard to find but Rustmort brushed onto the rust is a good converter but you will only slow down rust, It never goes away,

13. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I would use P O R 15 its a little pricing but a little go's a long way and it's a great product