1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under the tailgate vers. replacement tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BowTieDmax, Oct 24, 2011.

1. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Possibly looking to replace my v-box spreader with a dump bed. Just need more salt per trip. Whats the pro / cons from a under the tailgate to a replacement tailgate spreader? thanks

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I went replacement for one reason..... My dump is narrow (88") and the only choice for a UTS would have been Truckcraft. I wanted Swenson, so I bought a RTS. The only other plus is the fact that they weigh close to the same (RTS vs UTS) and losing the tailgate offsets some of that.

3. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Swenson RTG Spreader

Last season I purchased a Swenson RTG Spreader for my 2011 GMC 3500 Dump. I can tell you that it's a great unit.I went through 180 tons of salt with no problems. It ran great. All my lots have underground utilities so wires were no problem.For residential properties its not the unit you want.If you plow and salt big lot's then get one.I got the unit with the center mount spinner.