1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under tailgate Vs. VBox Spreaders for Dump

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gottaluvplows, Feb 24, 2010.

1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Ok we are looking into a new spreader for one of our dumps. A dealer has a good deal on both....
    Its either the Truck craft de-icer or the salt dogg

Which is better?? Or which one do you like best??

Loading isnt a problem where we get our salt they got a loader!
  2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I would get the under tail gate spreader. You can hold a lot more salt overall compared to the Vbox where your somewhat restricted. It wont hurt your dump if you overload it slghtly becasue you will most likely get rid of it pretty quick. Plus if you have left over salt at the end of a storm, easily dump it out and put it in some drums or garbage cans for later use in the smaller spreaders or for the sidewalk crews. Other thing that I like about the under tailgates is the fact the you dont have to back into the corner stalls to get the salt in there.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a tailgate spreader, as well as several hitch mount spreaders. If I had to buy a new spreader for my dump truck, I would probably go with a V box. The main reason is because I don't spread 7 or 8 tons per stom. If you leave the salt in the truck it rust the hell out of the bed.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you explain what that means?
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I would go with undertailgate Just for the fact you can haul more salt.
  6. SServices

SServices Senior Member

I work for a local TWP full time. We run under tailgate spreaders, you can hold more salt. The only downside is you have to either stop and dump back on occasion or run with the bed up. If you go with the under tailgate make sure to have a bed vibrator installed. You will save alot of time with it. Live bottom beds or "walking beds" are real nice, gives you the best of both worlds. Expensive though.
  7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

your bed will be fine as long as u dump it all out and wash it down after every use, if your stupid enough to leave material in there then ya it wil rust the bed out. good smart maintenance will help keep things running longer in the long run!!!

I like running under tailgate spreaders due to u can haul more material with out the add weight of a V sander, V vary in weights, that 's weight that you could be carry in as material. plus less stuff to break in them. No belt no motor, no fueling it ,
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  8. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Might be a alum. bed. Then he wouldnt have to worry about it.
  9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe I am the only one, but I don't really see the point in putting a V-box in a dump truck.
  10. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But Im on the same line as you...Whats the point?? And my bed is sprayed with x-line or what ever that stuff is so i dont thing rust would be too much of a problem and we wash them regularly anyway!
  11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I'll try to sway you. V Box takes the brunt of the corrosion, poly salt dog is good for that and washing it down isn't't that important after every use, V box can be moved to other truck with a spare wiring harness... if truck has mechanical difficulties or hydraulic dump problems.:nod:
  12. Mvplc2010

Mvplc2010 Junior Member

Personally, I like v box bed spreaders. But they both have their pro's and con;s if i may. The poly v-boxes never rust but maintaining the inter components for the spreader are a little harder to get to. i dont know what your workshop situation is but that is something that you have to consider. Then again the under tailgate does let you hold a little more but theres some more complicated parts to maintain. If your going to get an under tailgate make sure its as much stainless as possible and you keep it clean and greased to help keep it running smoothly
  13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

FWIW, I went with a "poly/elec tailgate replacement"...I am very pleased with it. VERY easy to clean, more carry cap., takes up less room when stored away for the yr, and I can still use my bed for other things during the winter without taking it off. Oh, and I can still pull a trailer w/o taking the spinner or anything else off.
  14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

SnowEx 2400?
  15. Westhardt Corp.

FWIW, running an undergate spreader is easy, and you don't need a bunch of angle on the box--if you line it. A simple piece of UHMW bolted to the floor (at the front only, with only a couple of bolts) will really improve how the box acts. You need maybe half the angle to get the material to move--not to mention if you "shake it back".

16. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

what exactly is UHMV. we have 2 snowex 2400, and a floor liner would come in handy.
  17. Westhardt Corp.

Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene. It's very commonly used for lining dump trucks, including my personal truck (in sig) to reduce wear on the dump body and reduce the required bed angle to facilitate material release. You can just Google it and find a bunch of different manufacturers. Quicksilver is some of the best material, but for what you're doing you don't have to terribly choosy. Just stay with UHMW (versus HMW), and you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how it improves the bed's ability to dump at a low angle. Just be forewarned--do NOT try to walk on it when it's wet, because you will very likely have a "gravitational confrontation".

I would use 3/8", because it is rigid enough to stay flat without a ton of bolts, but 1/4" will do the job just fine with perhaps more attachment points. Bolt it up front only, so you can wash out underneath it. Also, with the 2400, you can extend it slightly so it covers that little gap into the 2400's hopper, for total coverage.

18. Westhardt Corp.

You could also scout local truck/trailer equipment shops for a piece from an old liner that is no longer adequate for rock work, but would work fine for salt.
  19. Kavu

Kavu Member

Do you have any issues with material getting trapped under the UHMW ?
  20. Westhardt Corp.

A little bit here and there, but that's why I mentioned attaching at the front only, to facilitate wash outs. Now, mind you that the liner in my trailer (sig) sees almost exclusively aggregates (crushed limestone, sand, gravel), and at the rate of roughly 25,000 tons annually (conservative average), so it sees a great deal of hard use, so I tend to see more aggregate material trapped than a salting application would. Even then, it's pretty minor. I've replaced the rear 1/2 of the liner once after 4 years of use, and was mostly due to the higher center area wear due to the round shape of the tub, although there were some signs of "drilling" (material underneath eating through the liner from weight above pressing the liner onto the trapped stones). I don't know that salt is even hard and abrasive enough to drill through a liner--I doubt it, honestly.

With salt, I wouldn't even worry about it, because salt comes out quickly with a mild rinse. Just prop the liner up with a couple of blocks, tilt the box and wash it out. Salt flushes out remarkably easily--especially when you deal with limestone all year.