1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

under tailgate vs v box spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boba, Jan 23, 2001.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

In my continuing search for a new spreader how does the under tailgate compare to a v box spreader? Cost of one vs other? ease of operation? Durability? Which ever one I buy will be used on a ford F350 dump.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well I was looking into the truck craft tailgate spreader and it was about $4K seamed pretty pricy for what is was. but you would get more volume and it would be easier to clean.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

You are going to spend abour 4 K for an under the tailgate model by the time ya get the hydro and spreader set up on the truck.

On today's newer trucks if your trans doesn't have a PTO it is going to be hard to install a Under the tailgate.

Pros
    Use of truck all season
    Easier to remover under the trailgate spreader than V-box.
    Easier to load truck
    Can carry a little more materia

Con's have to raise body to spread, can sometimes hit stuff when doing this.

Use electric valves or you will need to run hydro lines inside your cab, you cab will become a two seater.

V-boxes

Cost about 3 to 4K

Harder to remove from the truck

weighs more than under the tailgate

easier to install.

If your truck has a PTO on the trans the install is easy. If you have to do a belt driven pump, hope you have a lot of space under the hood.

Do a search and you will find plenty more.

Geoff

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

My personal choice, if I could have only one spreader, and was going to have it on a truck that already had a dump body, would be undertailgate. As it is I have both, undergate on a dump truck and vee box in a 3/4 ton pickup. Due to the better maneuverability of the pickup I can ususally spread faster, but I have to make several trips to the stockpile. With the dumptruck I can haul 5 tons per load and only have to load up about once every other run. There is no plow on the big truck (yet, still) so using it requires a second trip over the route. Used to have the spreader on an F-350 dump, hydraulics were from a clutch pump, worked fine other than capacity was reduced to what the truck was comfortable with, about 3 tons max.