1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Under tailgate spreaders? how well are they?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PerfiCut Inc., Aug 17, 2008.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does the truck have central hydraulics?

3. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

TAIL gate spreader

A tail gate spreader is a great choice u don't hav alot of moving parts like on a v-box, plus if u need to use ur dump body u just put the lid down and go, freeze ups rarely happen in the spreader, but in the dump body it can happen, but it still beats a v-box

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

OK, we all have different views on which is better, I prefer a V Box hands down. All our places are large, my smalllest place takes 2 ton and I found undergate salters to be a PITA. JMO If you use smaller amounts at each place, I can see them being more liked. BTW a central hydro V Box is very reliable, we still have one from 1980 that we use every storm.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I really dont care for the undertailgate setup on a dump truck. I can never get the dump set just right so just the right ammount of salt is coming out. I either have the dump up too high with too much salt spilling out or not high enough with barely any salt coming out.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

JD's rite. we all have different views on what is best.............but i have both spreader's and i like the v-box, the reason for it is. keeps the salt directly off the the bed, easier to load, you dont have to wait on the bed to go up or down (down is lower than up) it's a little easier to tarp if you need to

as far as the "freezing" question.......that's the water in the salt freezing you know:confused: it dont matter if it is in a v-box, a dump bed, or a salt bin....SALT WILL FREEZE lol, now witch spreader will deal with it better.....i would have to say that the V-box will

PJ

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

With a tipper you can just dump out the frozen hunk at the bin correct ? I have Never had good luck unloading a frozen turd in a v-box. Usually requires removing the grate and hoping in with a pick, shovel etc.

Most dedicated DOT Snow rigs run v-boxes for a reason, they work the best.
    Under tailgates are an add on, so you can multi-task with a dump bed. They cost less, and you can get more salt on a smaller truck too.
    Most of the larger towns here just drop v-boxes in there big dumps, the tollway here removes there dumps, and install Big Boy v-boxes LOL.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's not really much fun, when we all agree on something, maybe someone else will chime in and get a good debate going. Maybe later on tonight when Ricks had a few pops he'll change his view.:D

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Okee Dokee. V-boxes suck. I love my under the tailgate spreader.

Happy?

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wasn't convincing enough for me, sorry. Plus your a masterdebater and I don't want to mess with you.

11. Mark Oomkes

Chicken

Oops, maybe chicken and masterdebater shouldn't be in the same post. :eek: :rolleyes:

Seriously, they both have their place. Do a search, it has been discussed before and I'm too lazy to retype my opinions.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've read the other threads and agree they both have there place, no sense beating a dead horse.:drinkup: But on a side note I wonder how those electric undergate salters work, they seem like a cheap alternative for guys that have a dump and no central hydro's.

13. Mark Oomkes

I may just find out this winter--on the electric type. Not sure where I'm standing with regards to liquids and granular. But I am thinking this would be an easy alternative on my 450 without central.

14. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I would be interested to hear whatt you think after using them , i might be in the same boat

i was looking into the truckcraft units, but the replacement and undertailgate...

The one thing i saw about the "replacement" model , you can flip the cover open and expose the auger on both sides to remove a jam if needed...im not sure how often it would happen, but i know my old VP8000 would jam 1 once per storm on average

i have only used a undertail gate 1 time helping a friend,

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont have much experiance with them , but cant you set the angle of your dump box, a little higher which would over feed the spreader , as u stated

then just turn down the auger speed? to reduce material flow?

and if this is a common problem, has anyone ever tried a vibrator?

16. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

I was initially looking at the electric under tailgate spreaders, only because Im not sure how the hydraulic ones hookup and I'm prety sure most of the state body F450's, 550's dont have connections for something like this. We are looking to pick up a new truck here in the next few weeks so I am researching alternatives for salting once we do.

We do a number of small properties, probably 30-40, which require 200-600 lbs of salt per application. We also have a few large properties which require 1500-4000 per application.

I imagine the v-box probably would be easier to use and perhaps more flexible when setting application rates/speed. Our big thing is flexibility. I like the idea of easy removal of the undertailgate spreader, plus storage is simple and easy. I like that the bed can be used to haul pallets of various materials without removing the spreader.

I just wasnt sure how well they actually worked.

I'll do some searches and read up on past discussions, but thanks for the input so far.